Frank Ocean Sued Over Mary J. Blige Sample in His 'Super Rich Kid'
Frank Ocean has been hit with copyright infringement lawsuit. A music company named TufAmerica has sued the rapper, claiming that his track "Super Rich Kid" illegally samples Mary J. Blige's "Real Love".
TufAmerica only owns 3.15% of Blige's song, as it was awarded after they sued the singer and her label for illicitly using a sample of a 1973 track they actually own, The HoneyDrippers' "Impeach the President". Shortly, Ocean is being sued for using a sample of a sample.
"Super Rich Kids" is a song that he recorded with fellow Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All member Earl Sweatshirt. The track appears in his Grammy Award-winning album "Channel Orange".
Meanwhile, TufAmerica is the same company who has sued Kanye West, Jay-Z and Beastie Boys among others for allegedly sampling its tracks without permission.
In other Ocean-related news, the "Thinkin Bout You" hitmaker has reportedly been given the cold shoulder by some rappers due to his sexual orientation. In a recent interview with Vlad TV, T-Pain said that some artists didn't want to collaborate with openly gay Ocean.
"I think the radio is getting more gay friendly, I don't think urban music or anything is getting more gay friendly," T-Pain said. "If that was the case, Frank Ocean would be on a lot more songs. I know n****s that will not do a song with Frank Ocean just because he gay, but they need him on the f**king song and that's so terrible to me."
He recalled the moments before Ocean came out as a gay in 2012. "Like, he was on the 'Watch the Throne' album before he came out, and then when he came out, it's like he can't get in the studio with Jay and Kanye right now," he continued.
"It's so f**king terrible. ... It's in his f**king genes. It's not a f**king choice. The man came out like that, and you can't just f**king disown this man because he's living a certain life that you don't f**king approve of because somebody told you not to approve of it," he added.
More Frank Ocean News
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival