Circumstances of Julia Roberts' Half-Sister's Death Released
Julia Roberts' half-sister, Nancy Motes, was found dead in her Los Angeles home on Sunday, February 9. The 37-year-old had a history of "some medical issues," Los Angeles County Coroner's Assistant Chief Ed Winter said in a statement.
Paramedics were called to Motes' home and found her on the floor of a bathroom. "Some prescription drugs were found near her body," Winter said. She was pronounced dead at the scene at 2:12 P.M. Sunday. An autopsy will be conducted on Tuesday while investigation is underway.
"It is with deep sadness that the family of Nancy Motes ... confirms that she was found dead in Los Angeles yesterday of an apparent drug overdose. ... The family is both shocked and devastated," the family said in a statement released on Monday. Motes is the youngest sibling of Julia, Eric Roberts and Lisa Roberts Gillan from a different father. She was only 13 when Julia shot to fame for her role in "Pretty Woman".
Nancy previously revealed that her relationship with sister Julia was strained. "When I was in high school and she was an adult, she would just let me know that I was definitely overweight," Nancy told NY Daily News last year. "She would make it quite clear to me and in a not-so-nice a manner. It just makes me feel incredibly hurt and very sad. When you're in a family of very, very exceptionally beautiful people it's intimidating."
Nancy had been planning to marry fiance John Dilbeck, a film and TV locations manager, in May.
More Julia Roberts News
- Khloe Kardashian Cozying Up to Odell Beckham Jr. at Drake's Memorial Day Party
- Keira Knightley Defended by Directors and Fellow Stars After John Carney Trashed Her
- Jena Malone and Boyfriend Welcome Baby Boy - Meet Baby Ode!
- 'Shield' Actor Michael Jace Convicted of Second-Degree Murder for Shooting His Wife
- First Look at Harry, Ginny and Albus in 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child'
- Mark Salling Fired From 'Gods and Secrets' After Indicted for Child Pornography
- Emilia Clarke Wants to Be the First Female James Bond With This Hunk as Her Bond 'Boy'
- Johnny Depp Wasn't Even Near Amber Heard When He Allegedly Hit Her, Witnesses Say