'Desperate Housewives' Star Shawn Pyfrom Reveals Addiction
Shawn Pyfrom, who played Marcia Cross' on-screen son Andrew Van de Kamp on "Desperate Housewives", admitted his addiction in the wake of Philip Seymour Hoffman's death. The 27-year-old actor said that he decided to talk about his struggle with addiction to encourage others to stop or keep people from ever using drugs.
"I even question whether or not I should publish this, as I type out these words. But if these words can encourage someone to hold on to their life... to keep from ever using, or to find the strength to stop; then it's more important that these words are shared," he wrote on Tumblr on Sunday, February 2.
Pyfrom, who revealed that he had been sober for five months, continued, "Anytime a person uses drugs, they are taking the chance that their life will be taken from them. whether they steal your breath, or rob one last beat from your heart - that is left to fate. but they will steal your life from you." He mentioned that drug use might contribute to celebrities' success, but it also took their lives.
The star additionally said that using drugs negatively affected his daily life and work. "There are countless nights of blacking out, and making poor decisions as a result of my overusing. I wasted the time of valuable people, who worked so hard to pull my career to a higher place, by allowing my addictions to tug me out of their grip," he shared.
Following the revelation, some celebrities praised him for revealing his struggle. "You are brave & strong. I admire your honesty, my friend," Lucy Hale tweeted. "Brave boy," former "Revenge" actress Ashley Madekwe wrote, adding a heart sign.
- New 'Bachelor in Paradise' Couple! Amanda Stanton and Robby Hayes Spotted on a Date
- Anne Hathaway Eyed to Replace Amy Schumer in Live-Action 'Barbie'
- 'Exhausted' Justin Bieber Cancels the Rest of 'Purpose' Tour Dates
- Rihanna Fuels Pregnancy Rumors With Bigger Boobs at 'Valerian' European Premiere
- ABC Sets Fall 2017 Premiere Dates for 'Grey's Anatomy', 'The Good Doctor' and More
- Ex-Wonder Girls Member Sun Mi to Release Second Solo Album in August
- Find Out Why Song Joong Ki Wants to Get Married Early
- Ariel Winter Flaunts Butt Tattoo on Snapchat