2014 SAG Awards: Lupita Nyong'o and Jared Leto Among Early Winners
Lupita Nyong'o was the first name called out as winner at the SAG Awards ceremony held on Saturday, January 18. The "12 Years a Slave" actress and newcomer beat "American Hustle" star Jennifer Lawrence who was triumphant in the Supporting Actress category at the recent Golden Globes.
"I also wanna thank my family, who have kept it real," Nyong'o said on her acceptance speech. "My dad, he was the first person I called when I got this role, and I said to him, 'Daddy, do you know Brad Pitt? I'm going to be in a movie with him.' And he said, 'I don't know him personally, but I'm glad you got a job.' So am I!"
Jared Leto won the male supporting actor category, thanks to his AIDS-stricken transsexual role in "Dallas Buyers Club". This is his first SAG win after taking supporting actor honors at L.A. Film Critics Association, New York Film Critics Circle, and Golden Globes. He is running for the same category at the upcoming Oscars.
Also taking multiple wins early in the ceremony was "Modern Family". The ABC comedy brought home Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series and took the Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series nod via its star Ty Burrell.
Helen Mirren won the Female Actor category in a TV Movie or Miniseries for her role in "Phil Spector" while Michael Douglas snagged the male part for his "Behind the Candelabra" role. Julia Louis-Dreyfus took Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series for "Veep". She got a help from co-star Matt Walsh while receiving the trophy on stage.
The 20th Annual SAG Awards are broadcast live on TNT and TBS beginning at 7 P.M. CST.
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Sneak Peek: Watch 29-Year-Old J. Chosen Blow the Coaches' Mind
- Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Saying Arsenio Hall Gave Prince Drugs
- See Lethal Charlize Theron in New 'Atomic Blonde' Poster
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered