Benedict Cumberbatch Had Reservations About Taking 'Sherlock' Role
Benedict Cumberbatch is now a household name thanks to the popular British series, "Sherlock". But the actor has just revealed that he nearly missed a chance to gain worldwide fame as he almost turned down the role.
"My reservation was 'Well, this is a very iconic character, there will be a lot of attention on it,' " he tells Entertainment Weekly. "This was before I had had any significant success [but] I knew there would still be a lot of focus on it. And while I had done work, it wasn't stepping into the populist limelight like playing a character like Holmes. So I did have a pause for thought."
But then he thought, "If I'm going to do this, if I'm going to step into the limelight with a large leading role of iconic status, then I might as well do it these people. They know what they're doing and I completely trust them." He goes on recalling, "I felt like I was being asked to join the family and have some fun. There was nothing businessy about it. And that's how to operate it."
Following his performance as the famous fictional detective, Cumberbatch has snagged roles in big Hollywood films like "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey", "Star Trek Into Darkness" as well as the critically-acclaimed "12 Years a Slave". He reprises his role as Sherlock Holmes in the third season of the crime drama series which will premiere in the U.S. on Sunday, January 19.
More Sherlock News
- Katy Perry's Backup Dancer Falls Offstage During Her BRIT Award Performance
- Rooney Mara's Isla Tries to Commit Suicide in New 'The Discovery' Trailer
- Matt Damon Urging Ben Affleck to Find a New Wife Amid Jennifer Garner Divorce Rumors
- Scarlett Johansson All Smiles During Lunch Date With Mystery Man After Romain Dauriac Split
- The Chainsmokers and Coldplay Team Up for Love Song 'Something Just Like This'
- Daniel Craig and Rachel Weisz Are 'Living Separate Lives'
- 'Sons of Anarchy' Spin-Off 'Mayans MC' Taps John Ortiz to Star as New Charter President
- Angelina Jolie May Soon Star in 'Maleficent 2'