Benedict Cumberbatch Had Reservations About Taking 'Sherlock' Role
Benedict Cumberbatch is now a household name thanks to the popular British series, "Sherlock". But the actor has just revealed that he nearly missed a chance to gain worldwide fame as he almost turned down the role.
"My reservation was 'Well, this is a very iconic character, there will be a lot of attention on it,' " he tells Entertainment Weekly. "This was before I had had any significant success [but] I knew there would still be a lot of focus on it. And while I had done work, it wasn't stepping into the populist limelight like playing a character like Holmes. So I did have a pause for thought."
But then he thought, "If I'm going to do this, if I'm going to step into the limelight with a large leading role of iconic status, then I might as well do it these people. They know what they're doing and I completely trust them." He goes on recalling, "I felt like I was being asked to join the family and have some fun. There was nothing businessy about it. And that's how to operate it."
Following his performance as the famous fictional detective, Cumberbatch has snagged roles in big Hollywood films like "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey", "Star Trek Into Darkness" as well as the critically-acclaimed "12 Years a Slave". He reprises his role as Sherlock Holmes in the third season of the crime drama series which will premiere in the U.S. on Sunday, January 19.
- Mariah Carey Debuts New Song 'Infamous' for 'Empire' Series
- Keanu Reeves Walks Down Brooklyn Bridge With His New Dog in New 'John Wick 2' Pic
- Here's the Real Reason Rob Kardashian Tweeted Kylie Jenner's Number. Does She Deserve It?
- Report: Taylor Swift Is Pursuing Prince Harry After Tom Hiddleston Split
- Margot Robbie in 'Saturday Night Live' Promo: I'm a Felon
- Watch James Corden and Backstreet Boys' Synchronized Dance for 'Everybody (Backstreet's Back)'
- Gal Gadot Flaunts Sexy Body in Skimpy Lingerie in 'Keeping Up with the Joneses' Clip
- 'Empire' 3.03 Preview: Wrong Charge