Benedict Cumberbatch Had Reservations About Taking 'Sherlock' Role
Benedict Cumberbatch is now a household name thanks to the popular British series, "Sherlock". But the actor has just revealed that he nearly missed a chance to gain worldwide fame as he almost turned down the role.
"My reservation was 'Well, this is a very iconic character, there will be a lot of attention on it,' " he tells Entertainment Weekly. "This was before I had had any significant success [but] I knew there would still be a lot of focus on it. And while I had done work, it wasn't stepping into the populist limelight like playing a character like Holmes. So I did have a pause for thought."
But then he thought, "If I'm going to do this, if I'm going to step into the limelight with a large leading role of iconic status, then I might as well do it these people. They know what they're doing and I completely trust them." He goes on recalling, "I felt like I was being asked to join the family and have some fun. There was nothing businessy about it. And that's how to operate it."
Following his performance as the famous fictional detective, Cumberbatch has snagged roles in big Hollywood films like "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey", "Star Trek Into Darkness" as well as the critically-acclaimed "12 Years a Slave". He reprises his role as Sherlock Holmes in the third season of the crime drama series which will premiere in the U.S. on Sunday, January 19.
More Sherlock News
- Jennifer Lopez Breaks Silence on Her Relationship With Drake
- Joe Jonas Approves of Demi Lovato's On-Again Romance With Guilhermo Vasconcelos
- Surly and His Squad Fight for New Home in 'The Nut Job 2' First Trailer
- 'American Crime Story' Will Take on Bill Clinton-Monica Lewinsky Sex Scandal
- Kim Kardashian Did Want to Divorce Kanye West. Here's Why She Stays
- New 'Kong: Skull Island' Banner Suggests Kong's Soft Spot
- Bella Thorne Defends Ex-Beau Gregg Sulkin After His Alleged Nude Pics Surface
- People's Choice Awards 2017: Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake Among Winners in Music