J.K. Rowling to Produce 'Harry Potter' Stage Musical
After eight successful Hollywood blockbuster movies, Harry Potter is now heading to the stage. According to The Daily Mail, the book's author J.K. Rowling will serve as a co-producer, while Sonia Friedman and Colin Callender will shepherd the upcoming West End play.
Warner Bros. which released the film adaptations is expected to be involved in the project, just like the studio did with the Sam Mendes musical version of Roald Dahl's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" which premiered at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane this May.
The stage production reportedly will explore "the previously untold story of Harry Potter's early years as an orphan and outcast." It will offer "a unique insight into the heart and mind of the now legendary young wizard. A seemingly ordinary boy, but one for whom destiny has plans..."
Rowling noted she had received many proposals to turn her story into a musical, but Friedman and Callender's pitch "was the only one that really made sense to me, and which had the sensitivity, intensity and intimacy I thought appropriate for bringing Harry's story to the stage."
"After a year in gestation, it is very exciting to see this project moving onto the next phrase," the writer said.
Aside from working on a London stage production, Rowling is also writing for Warner Bros. a spin-off movie based on Harry Potter's Hogwarts textbook "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them". The upcoming film will mark her screenwriting debut.
"Harry Potter" series has spawned seven books and becomes one of the best sellers in history. "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" is only one of the two small volumes Rowling wrote based on the Potter saga. The other one is "Quidditch Through the Ages" also named after Harry's schoolbook within the main novels. Both were published in March 2001. Another spin-off book is "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" released in December 2008.
- Watch Charlie Puth's Sexy Music Video for 'Attention'
- Real-Life Vigilante! Tom Hardy Goes Into 'Superhero Mode' to Take Down a Thief
- Watch First Footage of ABC's 'Dirty Dancing' Remake
- Madonna Biopic 'Blonde Ambition' Is in the Works at Universal
- Rihanna on Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott's Romance: She Thinks It's 'Tasteless'
- Lee Sung Kyung and Nam Joo Hyuk Are Reportedly Dating
- Jenna Dewan Reportedly Joins Channing Tatum at 'Magic Mike Live' Premiere Due to Trust Issues
- Watch Preview of Ty Dolla $ign and Lil Yachty's Collaboration for 'Beach House 3'