Tom Cruise: Katie Holmes Never Said Scientology Played a Part in Divorce
Tom Cruise apparently has backpedaled on his statement about his divorce from Katie Holmes. Cruise, who is fighting against Bauer Publishing in a $50 million lawsuit over its headlines, previously seemed to admit that his religion Scientology contributed to his separation from the former "Dawson's Creek" star.
In a September 9 deposition, Cruise was asked if Holmes left him "in part to protect Suri from Scientology" and he said the question was "offensive." The legal team asked again, "And Ms. Holmes has never indicated in any way that was one of the reasons she left you? ... To protect Suri from Scientology?" to which he answered, "Did she say that? That was one of the assertions, yes. There are many other aspects to the divorce."
The actor, however, amended his remark. As quoted by PEOPLE, in a November 5 court document, the "Oblivion" star said, "Katie has never told me that this [Scientology] was a reason for our divorce."
Holmes and Suri, meanwhile, are currently in Cape Town, South Africa. The actress is filming a movie called "The Giver" alongside Meryl Streep and Jeff Bridges. The mother and daughter were spotted at the Two Oceans Aquarium on Thursday, November 7. They were seen eating fish and chips in Nobel Square. The 7-year-old Suri at one point was pictured offering her leftover to a bronze statue of former South African President F.W. de Klerk.
More Tom Cruise News
- Are They Engaged? Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Thompson Flaunt Matching Rings on Instagram
- Michael Phelps Secretly Weds Nicole Johnson
- Amber Tamblyn Expecting Her First Child With David Cross
- Macklemore Fighting His Demons in 'Drug Dealer' Music Video
- Gerard Butler Set to Return as Mike Banning in 'Angel Has Fallen'
- Bruno Mars Describes Adele as Diva: 'She's Got All This Attitude'
- Kim Kardashian Filming 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' Backstage at Kanye West's Concert
- Katy Perry Celebrates 32nd Birthday by Voting for Hillary Clinton and Hitting Kanye West's Concert