Russell Brand Urges People Not to Vote
Russell Brand talks about his political view in a recent interview with BBC Newsnight. The comedian and BBC's Jeremy Paxman initially discussed Brand's role as a guest editor for New Statesmen, but the conversation later changed its direction to his political view.
According to Brand, political system in many countries failed to serve the people, adding that he had never voted in his life. "It's not that I'm not voting out of apathy. I'm not voting out of absolute indifference and weariness and exhaustion from the lies, treachery and deceit from the political class that's been going on for generations now," he said.
"Don't bother voting. Stop voting stop pretending, wake up, be in reality now. Why vote? We know it's not going to make any difference. When there is a genuine alternative do it," he added.
Brand is a supporter of "socialist egalitarian system based on a massive redistribution of wealth" and he wants corporations which exploited the environment face heavy taxation. "The planet is being destroyed. We are creating an underclass. We are exploiting poor people all over the world and the genuine, legitimate problems of the people are not being addressed by the political class," he explained.
In the end of the session, Brand said, "I'm angry, because for me it's real. This is what I come from... there is going to be a revolution, it's totally going to happen. I don't have a flicker of doubt."
- Henry Cavill's Mustache Will Be Digitally Removed From 'Justice League' Reshoots
- Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee Slam Venezuelan President for Using 'Despacito' as Political Propaganda
- Makeup-Free Kesha Shows Her Freckles in New Selfie
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Enjoy a Wild Night, 'Heartbroken' Wife Is 'Sick' of His PDA
- Birdman Fires Back After Tyga Claims Cash Money Owes Him $12 Million
- Kevin Hart Considers Renewing Wedding Vows to Eniko Parrish Amid Cheating Rumors
- Netflix Debuts Teaser Trailer for New Margaret Atwood Adaptation, 'Alias Grace'
- Joshep Duggar Shares Romantic Engagement Photos With Fiancee Kendra Caldwell