WikiLeaks Releases Its Own Julian Assange Film to Challenge 'The Fifth Estate'
A WikiLeaks documentary called "Mediastan" is available for free download as Disney-DreamWorks' dramatic depiction of the whistleblower website flopped in North America. While whether "Mediastan" contributes to the dismal result of "The Fifth Estate" remains to be determined, it's clear that the documentary was released to sabotage the feature film.
The rival movie was produced by Assange, who started its anti-"Fifth Estate" campaign a few weeks ago by leaking its script and then publishing his private email to Benedict Cumberbatch. "This weekend," he said in a statement, "instead of wasting your time and money on Hollywood propaganda, why not get all your friends around and spend your time watching Mediastan instead?"
The Bill Condon-directed drama collected an underwhelming $1.7 million from the ticket sales in 1,769 theaters. Bowing at No. 8 on the box office, it becomes the worst debut of the year for a movie released in more than 1,500 theaters. "We're certainly disappointed by the results," Disney distribution head Dave Hollis said, "and we're still trying to figure out the 'whys'."
Meanwhile, "Mediastan" was reported to have been downloaded by around 500,000 people (equal to $4.2 million in U.S. box office receipts) when it came out last Saturday night, October 19 to coincide with "The Fifth Estate" release this past weekend. But there's no word on how many times the documentary was downloaded Stateside.
- Pixar's Video Reveals Mind-Blowing Hidden Easter Eggs Throughout Their Movies
- Olivia Munn Reportedly Causes a Rift in Aaron Rodgers' Family
- Watch Fifth Harmony and Blake Shelton's Performances at 2017 People's Choice Awards
- Taryn Manning Is Not Leaving 'Orange Is the New Black', Despite Report
- Zayn Malik Shows Off New 'Love' Tattoo Amid Gigi Hadid Engagement Rumors
- Jennifer Lopez Spotted Cozying Up to Drake on Another Date
- Is Jared Leto Returning as Joker in New DC Movie?
- Listen to Big Sean's New Moody Track 'Halfway Off the Balcony'