'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Is Top TV Drama Debut Since 2009
The heavy promotion for ABC's "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." was paid off. The new series opened big to 12.12 million viewers on Tuesday night, September 24, with a 4.7 rating in adults 18-49 demographic.
Dubbed the most anticipated new program of the fall television season by research firm Networked Insights, the comic-adapted show had TV's highest rated drama debut in nearly 4 years in the coveted demo. ABC later announces that it will air a repeat of the series premiere on Thursday at 8 P.M., bumping a rerun of "Shark Tank".
Winning the 8-9 P.M. hour during which "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." opener aired, however, was CBS' hit show "NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service" with more than 20 million viewers (a 3.6 rating). NBC's "The Voice" was No. 2 with 14.35 million audience (a 4.7 rating).
ABC's other freshman "The Goldbergs" debuted to 8.94 viewers at 9 P.M., perhaps boosted by the successful debut of "S.H.I.E.L.D." However, the number dropped significantly for the "Trophy Wife" premiere at 9:30 P.M. (6.69 million viewers) and new drama "Lucky 7", which wasn't so lucky with only 4.43 million viewers tuning into the first episode at 10 P.M.
CBS topped the night in total viewers with an average of 16.27 million, thanks to the strong returns to "NCIS", its spin-off "NCIS: Los Angeles" (16.35 million) and "Person of Interest" (12.44 million).
More Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. News
- 'Logan' Producer Hints at X-23 Solo Movie
- Jamie Foxx Called 'Disrespectful' by Nyle DiMarco for Making Up Sign Language on 'Fallon'
- John Boyega Play in London Cut Short Due to Bomb Threat
- Joseph Duggar Engaged to Kendra Caldwell at His Sister Joy-Anna's Wedding
- Gregg Allman Dies After Battle With Liver Cancer, Ex-Wife Cher Mourns Him
- Watch a Preview of Halsey and Lauren Jauregui's 'Strangers' Video
- Beyonce Channels Michael Jackson in Throwback Photos
- Blac Chyna Licks Christina Milian's Boob in NSFW Pic