'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' Is Top TV Drama Debut Since 2009
The heavy promotion for ABC's "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." was paid off. The new series opened big to 12.12 million viewers on Tuesday night, September 24, with a 4.7 rating in adults 18-49 demographic.
Dubbed the most anticipated new program of the fall television season by research firm Networked Insights, the comic-adapted show had TV's highest rated drama debut in nearly 4 years in the coveted demo. ABC later announces that it will air a repeat of the series premiere on Thursday at 8 P.M., bumping a rerun of "Shark Tank".
Winning the 8-9 P.M. hour during which "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." opener aired, however, was CBS' hit show "NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service" with more than 20 million viewers (a 3.6 rating). NBC's "The Voice" was No. 2 with 14.35 million audience (a 4.7 rating).
ABC's other freshman "The Goldbergs" debuted to 8.94 viewers at 9 P.M., perhaps boosted by the successful debut of "S.H.I.E.L.D." However, the number dropped significantly for the "Trophy Wife" premiere at 9:30 P.M. (6.69 million viewers) and new drama "Lucky 7", which wasn't so lucky with only 4.43 million viewers tuning into the first episode at 10 P.M.
CBS topped the night in total viewers with an average of 16.27 million, thanks to the strong returns to "NCIS", its spin-off "NCIS: Los Angeles" (16.35 million) and "Person of Interest" (12.44 million).
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tasha McCauley Welcome Second Child
- Celebrities Who Regret Getting Plastic Surgery
- JYJ's Park Yoochun's Fiancee Allegedly Wants to Break Off Engagement
- Kingsman Teams Up With Statesman in New 'The Golden Circle' Red Band Trailer
- Report: Lee Jong Suk to Enlist to Military Soon
- Birthday Girl Julianne Hough Ditches Bikini Top During Romantic Honeymoon
- Comic-Con: Pennywise the Clown Mutilates His Victims in 'It' New Trailer and Clips
- Halle Berry Chugs a Half Bottle of Whiskey at 'Kingsman 2' Comic-Con Panel