Artist of the Week: John Mayer
After taking a break from music in order to recover from a major throat surgery, John Mayer returns with a new album called "Paradise Valley". Featuring guest appearances from on-again girlfriend Katy Perry and R&B singer Frank Ocean, Mayer's sixth studio effort is set to arrive on August 20.
A few months ago, Mayer dropped the lead single off the album. The song called "Paper Doll" was said to be a response to ex-girlfriend Taylor Swift's "Dear John", which Mayer described as "cheap." When asked if the song was indeed about Swift, Mayer didn't confirm or deny it.
"Songwriters write songs because of people, about people," he said in an interview on "Today" show. "Anything someone else wrote is their reception of a song; I don't get involved in it. It's none of my business."
Mayer also recently debuted "Who You Love", a collaboration with girlfriend Perry. The song gives fans a lyrical glimpse inside the undeniable chemistry the two singers share. Perry can be heard letting out a sweet giggle at the end of the tune.
"I think that's just a love giggle," Perry explained about the giggle when discussing the lovely duet on SiriusXM Hits 1. "It's like the ones that Mariah Carey had in 1990 and stuff like that... Yeah I think I was going for that, I think I was just so happy, I love that song."
In September 2011, Mayer was diagnosed with a granuloma, a benign lesion near his vocal cord. He couldn't produce a sound for months. He later figured out that his inability to speak would be less depressing if there was no one to speak to.
"I remember thinking it was going to be an interesting time and I was going to be very clever about making it work, and I'd go out to dinner with an iPad and a keyboard, but after a while you don't even want to do that," he told Chicago Tribune earlier this month. "I remember saying to myself, 'Well, if I stay home, I won't notice I can't talk.' What I ended up doing was pulling away."
More John Mayer News
- Pamela Anderson Storms Off TV Set After Being Offended by an Old School Photo
- Mariah Carey Flashes Nipples as She Goes Braless in Skintight Dress
- Selena Gomez Shares Message of Empowerment to High School Students During Surprise Visit
- Animated 'KUWTK' Series Is on the Way
- John Mayer Admits New Single 'Still Feel Like Your Man' Is About Katy Perry
- Selena Gomez Gets Teased About Her Love for Canadian Guys. See Her Reaction
- Is Amber Rose Into a Woman Now? Model Sparks Rumors She's Hooking Up With Teyana Taylor
- Iggy Azalea's Brand New Single 'Mo Bounce' Released in Full