Video: Stephen Colbert Returns to 'Colbert Report', Pays Tribute to Late Mother
Stephen Colbert had praised his mother several times on his show and he once again showed his admiration to her on his first day back on "The Colbert Report" after a week hiatus following her death. The comedian dedicated three minutes of the Wednesday, June 19 episode to share a story of his mother's childhood, her dedication to her family and her faith in God.
"Now if you watch this show, and you like this show, it's because everybody who works here and I'm lucky to be one of them," Colbert opened the show, holding back tears while delivering the moving tribute. "But when you watch the show, if you also like me, that's because of my mom. So before we start the show again, I'd like to tell you a little bit about her."
After telling viewers how she had managed to endure the death of her husband, brother and three of her sons without ever becoming bitter about the tragedies, he said, "Her love for her family and her faith in God somehow gave her the strength not only to go on but to love life without bitterness and instill in all of us a gratitude for every day we have together."
"I know it may sound greedy to want more days with a person who lived so long, but the fact that my mother was 92 does not diminish it; it only magnifies the enormity of the room whose door has now quietly shut," he added, before concluding the heartfelt speech, "We were the light of her life, and she let us know it until the end. And that's it. Thank you for listening."
Lorna Tuck Colbert passed away June 12 at the age of 92. Stephen Colbert was away for a week since then as he grieved the loss of his mother. The political satirist had previously suspended his satirical news show when his mom first began to fall ill back in February 2012.
- MTV VMAs 2016: Beyonce and Adele Lead Nominations, Nick Jonas Is 'Disappointed' About His Snub
- Rihanna, Kendrick Lamar, Selena Gomez, Metallica to Perform at 2016 Global Citizen Concert
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support