Kanye West's Alleged 'Yeezus' Cover Art Deemed Blasphemous
Following the image of a CD with a red "Yeezus" label and a melted gold blob in the center comes another supposed cover artwork for Kanye West's forthcoming new album "Yeezus". The new alternate cover image features a cartoonized West nailed onto a Y-shaped cross, an illustration referencing Christ's crucifixion whose name was combined in a pun with the 35-year-old rapper's nickname, bringing forth the album's title.
As expected, the cover art has sparked outrage from the members of the Christian faith, with many religious groups stepping up to brand the image "blasphemous" and a "disgrace." Even West's own fans have expressed distaste over the controversial artwork, despite the possibility that it might all be a hoax, much like the faux pre-order page that went up online last week on iTunes and on the artist's own website KanyeWest.com which was taken down soon after.
"What's wrong with this Kanye West character, they want to be worshiped that badly?" one critic wrote. "Only Christianity allows itself as a religion to be mocked and no one will do nothing. Let him try calling his album prophet Mohammed West and see if his arse ain't dealt with," another critic said.
This is not the first time the rap superstar's figured in an album cover art controversy. He also released several album cover options for his 2010-released fifth studio album "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" but this most recent image, said to be the final cover for his new album will most likely outdo its predecessors in terms of notoriety.
More Kanye West News
- DJ Snake Unveils Snippet of Selena Gomez's Version of 'Let Me Love You'
- Britney Spears Calls James Corden 'So Dirty' in Sneak Peek of Their Carpool Karaoke
- Blac Chyna Sued Over Car Crash Caused by Her Friend
- Tyga Ordered to Pay Another Former Landlord $186,000 for Damages
- Avril Lavigne's New Album Is on the Way
- Bella Thorne Comes Out as Bisexual After Photo of Her Kissing Another Woman Emerged
- Amber Rose Rumored to Join 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23
- Check Out First Look at Anthony Hopkins' Odin on Set of 'Thor: Ragnarok'