Kanye West's Alleged 'Yeezus' Cover Art Deemed Blasphemous
Following the image of a CD with a red "Yeezus" label and a melted gold blob in the center comes another supposed cover artwork for Kanye West's forthcoming new album "Yeezus". The new alternate cover image features a cartoonized West nailed onto a Y-shaped cross, an illustration referencing Christ's crucifixion whose name was combined in a pun with the 35-year-old rapper's nickname, bringing forth the album's title.
As expected, the cover art has sparked outrage from the members of the Christian faith, with many religious groups stepping up to brand the image "blasphemous" and a "disgrace." Even West's own fans have expressed distaste over the controversial artwork, despite the possibility that it might all be a hoax, much like the faux pre-order page that went up online last week on iTunes and on the artist's own website KanyeWest.com which was taken down soon after.
"What's wrong with this Kanye West character, they want to be worshiped that badly?" one critic wrote. "Only Christianity allows itself as a religion to be mocked and no one will do nothing. Let him try calling his album prophet Mohammed West and see if his arse ain't dealt with," another critic said.
This is not the first time the rap superstar's figured in an album cover art controversy. He also released several album cover options for his 2010-released fifth studio album "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" but this most recent image, said to be the final cover for his new album will most likely outdo its predecessors in terms of notoriety.
More Kanye West News
- 'Carpool Karaoke': Lady GaGa Is Novice Driver, James Corden Tries on Her Infamous Costumes
- Shia LaBeouf Is a Marine With PTSD in 'Man Down' Teaser Trailer
- Rihanna Sends Taylor Swift a Warning After Pop Diva Spent Her Night Partying With Drake
- Ray J Teams Up With Chris Brown for Kanye West 'Famous' Response
- Here's Why Ryan Reynolds Disagrees With Tim Miller's 'More Stylish' Version of 'Deadpool 2'
- Taylor Kinney Already Moves on After Lady GaGa Split. Who's His New Girlfriend?
- What Breakup? Katie Holmes and Jamie Foxx Are 'Still Together' Despite Split Rumors
- We'll Miss You, Toby! 'Pretty Little Liars' Star and Creator Say Goodbye to Keegan Allen