Lauryn Hill Releases 'Neurotic Society' Amid Tax Woes and Chris Kelley's Death
Motivated by her tax evasion case deadline, Grammy Award-winning singer Lauryn Hill has broken her recording hiatus with the release of her new song "Neurotic Society (Compulsory Mix)". The 37-year-old rapstress also used rap duo Kris Kross rapper Chris Kelley's untimely death just last week to push herself to come up with the song this quickly.
"Hello All: Here is a link to a piece that I was 'required' to release immediately, by virtue of the impending legal deadline," Hill wrote on her Tumblr page on Saturday, May 4. "I love being able to reach people directly, but in an ideal scenario, I would not have to rush the release of new music ... but the message is still there."
The former The Fugees member also released her new song in light of the May 1, Wednesday death of her former record label mate Kelley, as a commentary on the current state of pop culture. "I am even more pressed to YELL this to a multitude that may not understand the cost of allowing today's unhealthy paradigms to remain unchecked," Hill wrote.
Perhaps all the "inaccurate tabloid harassment" she's been getting lately also largely influenced Hill to sing about the toxic speed of the hyper-connected world we now live in and how everything is being commerce-driven. One recent tabloid rumor she had to address was her reportedly being evicted by her New Jersey landlord for not paying rent, which the singer had already vehemently denied.
- Watch Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon Return to Camp Winnipesaukee in the Fall
- They Don't Belong Together. James Packer Dumps Mariah Carey Over Her 'Excessive Spending'
- James McAvoy Lets Loose 'The Beast' in New 'Split' Trailer
- Britney Spears Undergoing Surgery to 'Tweak' Her Nipples and Areolas?
- Pussy Riot Dedicates 'Straight Outta Vagina' Video to Donald Trump
- See Photos of 'Pretty Little Liars' Stars on Last Day of Filming Series Finale
- 'Toy Story 4' Release Date Delayed Again, 'The Incredibles 2' Moved Up
- Tom Cruise Secretly Romancing a British Woman and He's 'Serious' About It