Lauryn Hill Releases 'Neurotic Society' Amid Tax Woes and Chris Kelley's Death
Motivated by her tax evasion case deadline, Grammy Award-winning singer Lauryn Hill has broken her recording hiatus with the release of her new song "Neurotic Society (Compulsory Mix)". The 37-year-old rapstress also used rap duo Kris Kross rapper Chris Kelley's untimely death just last week to push herself to come up with the song this quickly.
"Hello All: Here is a link to a piece that I was 'required' to release immediately, by virtue of the impending legal deadline," Hill wrote on her Tumblr page on Saturday, May 4. "I love being able to reach people directly, but in an ideal scenario, I would not have to rush the release of new music ... but the message is still there."
The former The Fugees member also released her new song in light of the May 1, Wednesday death of her former record label mate Kelley, as a commentary on the current state of pop culture. "I am even more pressed to YELL this to a multitude that may not understand the cost of allowing today's unhealthy paradigms to remain unchecked," Hill wrote.
Perhaps all the "inaccurate tabloid harassment" she's been getting lately also largely influenced Hill to sing about the toxic speed of the hyper-connected world we now live in and how everything is being commerce-driven. One recent tabloid rumor she had to address was her reportedly being evicted by her New Jersey landlord for not paying rent, which the singer had already vehemently denied.
More Lauryn Hill News
- Officially Back On? Kylie Jenner Tags Tyga on Her Booty In This Instagram Photo
- Nicolas Cage and Alice Kim Separate After 11 Years of Marriage
- Two More Actors Join 'Spider-Man: Homecoming', New Set Photos Are Released
- 'Mr. Robot' Season 2 Gets Additional Episodes and an Aftershow
- Jamie Foxx Spotted Holding Hands With Mystery Woman. Cheating on Katie Holmes?
- Fifth Harmony Ladies Strip Down to Skimpy Bikinis in 'All in My Head' Video Ft. Fetty Wap
- 'Step Up' Series Coming to YouTube With Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan Attached
- Harry Styles Signs Solo Deal With Columbia Records. Time to Say Goodbye to 1D?