Lauryn Hill Releases 'Neurotic Society' Amid Tax Woes and Chris Kelley's Death
Motivated by her tax evasion case deadline, Grammy Award-winning singer Lauryn Hill has broken her recording hiatus with the release of her new song "Neurotic Society (Compulsory Mix)". The 37-year-old rapstress also used rap duo Kris Kross rapper Chris Kelley's untimely death just last week to push herself to come up with the song this quickly.
"Hello All: Here is a link to a piece that I was 'required' to release immediately, by virtue of the impending legal deadline," Hill wrote on her Tumblr page on Saturday, May 4. "I love being able to reach people directly, but in an ideal scenario, I would not have to rush the release of new music ... but the message is still there."
The former The Fugees member also released her new song in light of the May 1, Wednesday death of her former record label mate Kelley, as a commentary on the current state of pop culture. "I am even more pressed to YELL this to a multitude that may not understand the cost of allowing today's unhealthy paradigms to remain unchecked," Hill wrote.
Perhaps all the "inaccurate tabloid harassment" she's been getting lately also largely influenced Hill to sing about the toxic speed of the hyper-connected world we now live in and how everything is being commerce-driven. One recent tabloid rumor she had to address was her reportedly being evicted by her New Jersey landlord for not paying rent, which the singer had already vehemently denied.
- Kim Kardashian Endorses Hillary Clinton, Shuts Down Rumor That She Votes for Donald Trump
- Angelina Jolie and Her Kids Move Into Rental House Amid Brad Pitt Divorce
- Find Out the Gender of Olivia Wilde's Second Child With Jason Sudeikis!
- Orlando Bloom and Malin Akerman Have Steamy Threesome on Netflix's 'Easy'
- Megan Hilty and Brian Gallagher Expecting Their Second Child
- Marion Cotillard's Partner Breaks Silence on Brad Pitt Affair Rumors
- Julia Roberts to Play PTA Mom Framed for Drug Possession in True-Story Movie
- Pippa Middleton's Private Photos Stolen After Her iCloud Got Hacked