'Pain and Gain' Conquers Box Office
Despite middling reviews, Michael Bay's "Pain and Gain" manages to debut atop the domestic box office with $20.2 million. Starring Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, the film appeals evenly to genders, with females surprisingly making up 49 percent of the audience.
Another newcomer "The Big Wedding", meanwhile, opens in a disappointing fourth place by taking in $7.6 million. Despite its star-studded cast ensemble featuring Robert De Niro, Katherine Heigl, Robin Williams and Amanda Seyfried, the Lionsgate comedy only received a C+ CinemaScore.
Tom Cruise's "Oblivion" secures the second place in its second week with $17.8 million. The sci-fi film, which co-stars Olga Kurylenko, falls 53 percent after previously claiming the box office throne with $37 million.
The Jackie Robinson tale "42", meanwhile, follows in third place by bagging $10.6 million. The Chadwick Boseman-starring film, which earns an A+ CinemaScore, has domestically grossed $69 million and is still possible to hold onto screens for a few more weeks and reach $100 million in total.
After staying strong in No. 3 for two consecutive weeks, DreamWorks' comedy "The Croods", which stars Emma Stone and Ryan Reynolds, plunges to No. 5 in its sixth outing by taking in $6.7 million.
In international box office, Marvel's "Iron Man 3" about the battle between Iron Man and his archenemy Mandarin hits a great success by earning a massive $195.3 million, beating "The Avengers", which opened to $185.1 million internationally in April last year. The Shane Black film scores the biggest opening weekend in Asia Pacific, Latin America and individual countries, including Argentina, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- "Pain and Gain" - $20.2 million
- "Oblivion" - $17.8 million
- "42" - $10.6 million
- "The Big Wedding" - $7.6 million
- "The Croods" - $6.7 million
- "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" - $3.7 million
- "Scary Movie 5" - $3.4 million
- "Olympus Has Fallen" - $2.8 million
- "The Place Beyond the Pines" - $2.7 million
- "Jurassic Park" - $2.3 million
- Kim Kardashian Filming 'Keeping Up with the Kardashians' Backstage at Kanye West's Concert
- Katy Perry Celebrates 32nd Birthday by Voting for Hillary Clinton and Hitting Kanye West's Concert
- 'Knight Rider' Gets Reboot From Producer Justin Lin
- Donnie Wahlberg, and Not Kim K., Sets Guiness World Record for Most Selfies in 3 Minutes
- Benedict Cumberbatch Channels Doctor Strange to Diagnose the Avengers in New Promo Clip
- Taylor Swift's Alleged Groping Photo Leaks Despite Sealed by Judge
- Nicole Richie Doesn't Regret Her Wild Past: I Was Just 'Being Me'
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!