'Pain and Gain' Conquers Box Office
Despite middling reviews, Michael Bay's "Pain and Gain" manages to debut atop the domestic box office with $20.2 million. Starring Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, the film appeals evenly to genders, with females surprisingly making up 49 percent of the audience.
Another newcomer "The Big Wedding", meanwhile, opens in a disappointing fourth place by taking in $7.6 million. Despite its star-studded cast ensemble featuring Robert De Niro, Katherine Heigl, Robin Williams and Amanda Seyfried, the Lionsgate comedy only received a C+ CinemaScore.
Tom Cruise's "Oblivion" secures the second place in its second week with $17.8 million. The sci-fi film, which co-stars Olga Kurylenko, falls 53 percent after previously claiming the box office throne with $37 million.
The Jackie Robinson tale "42", meanwhile, follows in third place by bagging $10.6 million. The Chadwick Boseman-starring film, which earns an A+ CinemaScore, has domestically grossed $69 million and is still possible to hold onto screens for a few more weeks and reach $100 million in total.
After staying strong in No. 3 for two consecutive weeks, DreamWorks' comedy "The Croods", which stars Emma Stone and Ryan Reynolds, plunges to No. 5 in its sixth outing by taking in $6.7 million.
In international box office, Marvel's "Iron Man 3" about the battle between Iron Man and his archenemy Mandarin hits a great success by earning a massive $195.3 million, beating "The Avengers", which opened to $185.1 million internationally in April last year. The Shane Black film scores the biggest opening weekend in Asia Pacific, Latin America and individual countries, including Argentina, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- "Pain and Gain" - $20.2 million
- "Oblivion" - $17.8 million
- "42" - $10.6 million
- "The Big Wedding" - $7.6 million
- "The Croods" - $6.7 million
- "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" - $3.7 million
- "Scary Movie 5" - $3.4 million
- "Olympus Has Fallen" - $2.8 million
- "The Place Beyond the Pines" - $2.7 million
- "Jurassic Park" - $2.3 million
- A Party Fit for Mother Monster! Get Details of Lady GaGa's Star-Studded Birthday Bash
- Jennifer Lawrence and Darren Aronofsky Are Getting More Serious, Despite Their 22-Year Age Gap
- Listen to Selena Gomez's Moody 'Only You' Cover for '13 Reasons Why'
- No Worry! Justin Bieber Strips Off His Shirt Showing Off New Inks and Toned Abs in Brazil
- Are Kylie Jenner and Tyga Breaking Up Again? Rapper Moves to New Bachelor Pad
- New 'Valerian' Trailer Offers a Better Look at the City of a Thousand Planets
- Jennifer Aniston Leans on Brad Pitt Amid Justin Theroux Split Rumors
- Details of Jennifer Lopez and Alex Rodriguez's Romantic Wedding and Baby Plans Revealed