'Pain and Gain' Conquers Box Office
Despite middling reviews, Michael Bay's "Pain and Gain" manages to debut atop the domestic box office with $20.2 million. Starring Mark Wahlberg and Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, the film appeals evenly to genders, with females surprisingly making up 49 percent of the audience.
Another newcomer "The Big Wedding", meanwhile, opens in a disappointing fourth place by taking in $7.6 million. Despite its star-studded cast ensemble featuring Robert De Niro, Katherine Heigl, Robin Williams and Amanda Seyfried, the Lionsgate comedy only received a C+ CinemaScore.
Tom Cruise's "Oblivion" secures the second place in its second week with $17.8 million. The sci-fi film, which co-stars Olga Kurylenko, falls 53 percent after previously claiming the box office throne with $37 million.
The Jackie Robinson tale "42", meanwhile, follows in third place by bagging $10.6 million. The Chadwick Boseman-starring film, which earns an A+ CinemaScore, has domestically grossed $69 million and is still possible to hold onto screens for a few more weeks and reach $100 million in total.
After staying strong in No. 3 for two consecutive weeks, DreamWorks' comedy "The Croods", which stars Emma Stone and Ryan Reynolds, plunges to No. 5 in its sixth outing by taking in $6.7 million.
In international box office, Marvel's "Iron Man 3" about the battle between Iron Man and his archenemy Mandarin hits a great success by earning a massive $195.3 million, beating "The Avengers", which opened to $185.1 million internationally in April last year. The Shane Black film scores the biggest opening weekend in Asia Pacific, Latin America and individual countries, including Argentina, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- "Pain and Gain" - $20.2 million
- "Oblivion" - $17.8 million
- "42" - $10.6 million
- "The Big Wedding" - $7.6 million
- "The Croods" - $6.7 million
- "G.I. Joe: Retaliation" - $3.7 million
- "Scary Movie 5" - $3.4 million
- "Olympus Has Fallen" - $2.8 million
- "The Place Beyond the Pines" - $2.7 million
- "Jurassic Park" - $2.3 million
- Kim Ji Won Reveals She's Jealous of Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo
- Kris Jenner Is Planning to Send Rob Kardashian to Psych Ward
- Miley Cyrus and Jennifer Hudson Are Feuding on 'The Voice'
- Blac Chyna Parties With Lamar Odom and Tyga
- Girls' Generation's Yuri Injures Her Leg During SM Town Show
- Ten Times Chrissy Teigen Trolls Donald Trump on Twitter
- Yolanda Hadid Who? David Foster Enjoys Romantic Italy Getaway With Elizabeth Hurley
- 'The Star' First Teaser Trailer Tells the Story of Christmas From Different Perspective