CW Orders 'Vampire Diaries' Spin-Off to Series, Renews 'Beauty and the Beast,' and 'Dixie'
As NBC announced renewals of its five drama series, The CW ordered its first new series for 2013-14 season. The later has picked up "The Vampire Diaries" spin-off, "The Originals", to series a day after its backdoor pilot aired on Thursday, April 25.
Airing as a "Vampire Diaries" episode, the "Originals" pilot received lukewarm response with an average of 2.2 million total viewers and a 0.9 rating in adults 18-49, down 31% from the "Vampire Diaries" average this season.
"As soon as we saw last night's episode of 'The Vampire Diaries', we knew we wanted more of 'The Originals'," said The CW president Mark Pedowitz when announcing the pick-up on Friday. "Julie Plec and Kevin Williamson have done a fantastic job with 'The Vampire Diaries', which is as fast-paced and well-written as ever, and Julie has created an equally compelling world for 'The Originals'."
The CW also announced the renewals of its two dramas, "Beauty and the Beast" and "Hart of Dixie". "We're also very excited to bring back 'Beauty and the Beast' and 'Hart of Dixie' for next season -- both series continue to be creatively strong and compelling, and their fans are incredibly passionate. I'm very happy to have all three series on the schedule for next season."
"Beauty and the Beast" will return for a second season, while "Hart of Dixie" will be back for a third one. They join previously-renewed shows "Arrow", "The Vampire Diaries", "Supernatural" and "America's Next Top Model".
- The Weeknd and Selena Gomez Plan 'Summer Wedding' in Europe
- Taylor Swift Is Taking a Break From Social Media After Struggling With Instagram Bullies
- Watch: John Legend Surprises London Commuters With Mini-Concert at Train Station
- Rob Kardashian Hints at Wanting More Kids as He's Gearing Up for Baby Dream's First Birthday
- Kris Jenner and Corey Gamble Are Still Dating, Despite Breakup Reports
- Angelina Jolie Reportedly Was Drug-Tested for 'Tomb Raider'
- Chris Pine Shaves His Head Bald. Find Out How 'Homeland' Inspired His New Look
- Tyga Threatens to Sue Blac Chyna for Defamation After Snapchat Rant