'The Rocket' and 'The Kill Team' Among Big Winners at 2013 Tribeca
Several top independent films were declared winners on Thursday night, April 25 at the 12th Tribeca Film Festival, held at the Conrad New York in New York. Among the victors were Kim Mordaunt's "The Rocket", which took home Best Narrative Feature trophy, and Dan Krauss' "The Kill Team", which was hailed as Best Documentary Feature.
"The Rocket" centers on a displaced 10-year-old boy who seeks a new home in the tribal mountains of Laos after his house is demolished to make way for a dam. Sitthiphon Disamoe, who stars in the film as Ahlo, was named the Best Actor for playing the role "with an irresistible blend of pluck, stoic determination and vulnerability."
Carl Joos and Felix van Groeningen's screenplay for "The Broken Circle Breakdown" was recognized as Best Screenplay for a Narrative Feature Film. Playing Elise Vandevelde in the Felix van Groeningen-directed film, Veerle Baetens showed herself to be "a totally committed and fiercely versatile actress" as she won the Best Actress.
"Oxyana", director Sean Dunne's tale of West Virginia Drug Epidemic, was awarded Best New Documentary Director as well as a special jury mention. Jason Osder's "Let the Fire Burn", meanwhile, earned Best Editing in a Documentary and also a special jury mention.
Serving as one of jurors in the narrative categories, Canadian director and producer Paul Haggis said, "There was blood on the floor of the jury room," hinting that every decision on the winners was quite tough to make.
Founded by Jane Rosenthal and Robert De Niro, Tribeca will wrap its 12-day run on April 28 with screenings of all the winning films.
World Narrative Competition:
- Best Narrative Feature: "The Rocket"
- Special Jury Mention: "Stand Clear of the Closing Doors"
- Best Actor in a Narrative Feature Film: Sitthiphon Disamoe - "The Rocket"
- Best Actress in a Narrative Feature Film: "Veerle Baetens" - "The Broken Circle Breakdown"
- Best Cinematography in a Narrative Feature Film: Marius Matzow Gulbrandsen - "Before Snowfall"
- Best Screenplay in a Narrative Feature Film: "The Broken Circle Breakdown"
- Best New Narrative Director: Emanuel Hoss-Desmarais - "Whitewash"
- Special Jury Mention: "Harmony Lessons"
- Best Documentary Feature: "The Kill Team"
- Special Jury Mention: "Oxyana"
- Best Editing in a Documentary Feature: Let the Fire Burn
- Best New Documentary Director: Sean Dunne - "Oxyana"
- Special Jury Mention: "Let The Fire Burn"
- Comic-Con: 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Footage and 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Villain Revealed
- Leonardo DiCaprio Reunites With Nina Agdal After 'Caught Flirting' With Another Woman at His Gala
- Watch Henry Cavill Walk Around in Mask and Hilariously Prank Will Smith at Comic-Con
- Comic-Con: New 'Fantastic Beasts' Trailer Shows Newt Scamander Recapturing the Creatures
- Gwen Stefani's Son Kingston Sings Blake Shelton's Song While Face-Swapping With Him
- Comic-Con: Check Out Trailers for 'Flash' Season 3, 'Arrow' Season 5 and 'Legends' Season 2
- Refusing to Enter Rehab, Lamar Odom Walks Out of Family's Intervention
- Kristen Bell Shares First Photos From Her Wedding While Tearing Up Talking About Hubby Dax Shepard