'The Rocket' and 'The Kill Team' Among Big Winners at 2013 Tribeca
Several top independent films were declared winners on Thursday night, April 25 at the 12th Tribeca Film Festival, held at the Conrad New York in New York. Among the victors were Kim Mordaunt's "The Rocket", which took home Best Narrative Feature trophy, and Dan Krauss' "The Kill Team", which was hailed as Best Documentary Feature.
"The Rocket" centers on a displaced 10-year-old boy who seeks a new home in the tribal mountains of Laos after his house is demolished to make way for a dam. Sitthiphon Disamoe, who stars in the film as Ahlo, was named the Best Actor for playing the role "with an irresistible blend of pluck, stoic determination and vulnerability."
Carl Joos and Felix van Groeningen's screenplay for "The Broken Circle Breakdown" was recognized as Best Screenplay for a Narrative Feature Film. Playing Elise Vandevelde in the Felix van Groeningen-directed film, Veerle Baetens showed herself to be "a totally committed and fiercely versatile actress" as she won the Best Actress.
"Oxyana", director Sean Dunne's tale of West Virginia Drug Epidemic, was awarded Best New Documentary Director as well as a special jury mention. Jason Osder's "Let the Fire Burn", meanwhile, earned Best Editing in a Documentary and also a special jury mention.
Serving as one of jurors in the narrative categories, Canadian director and producer Paul Haggis said, "There was blood on the floor of the jury room," hinting that every decision on the winners was quite tough to make.
Founded by Jane Rosenthal and Robert De Niro, Tribeca will wrap its 12-day run on April 28 with screenings of all the winning films.
World Narrative Competition:
- Best Narrative Feature: "The Rocket"
- Special Jury Mention: "Stand Clear of the Closing Doors"
- Best Actor in a Narrative Feature Film: Sitthiphon Disamoe - "The Rocket"
- Best Actress in a Narrative Feature Film: "Veerle Baetens" - "The Broken Circle Breakdown"
- Best Cinematography in a Narrative Feature Film: Marius Matzow Gulbrandsen - "Before Snowfall"
- Best Screenplay in a Narrative Feature Film: "The Broken Circle Breakdown"
- Best New Narrative Director: Emanuel Hoss-Desmarais - "Whitewash"
- Special Jury Mention: "Harmony Lessons"
- Best Documentary Feature: "The Kill Team"
- Special Jury Mention: "Oxyana"
- Best Editing in a Documentary Feature: Let the Fire Burn
- Best New Documentary Director: Sean Dunne - "Oxyana"
- Special Jury Mention: "Let The Fire Burn"
- Mary J. Blige to Guest Star on 'How to Get Away with Murder'
- Ryan Reynolds Paid 'Deadpool' Screenwriters With His Own Money
- Rob Kardashian Finally Opens Up on Why He Ditched Kim Kardashian's Wedding
- Drake and Rihanna Nuzzling and Holding Hands in Miami
- 'Stranger Things' Officially Renewed for Season 2 - Watch the Teaser Here!
- Chris Stapleton, Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban Lead Nominations for 2016 CMA Awards
- Demi Lovato Surprises Fans as Undercover Lyft Driver and Disses Selena Gomez
- Chris Brown Is Released on $250K Bail, Lawyer Calls Assault Allegations 'Demonstrably False'