Netflix Orders Sci-Fi Series From the Wachowskis
Netflix has recruited other top-notch filmmakers for its next project. Following the success of its original series "House of Cards" executive produced by David Fincher, the company has now ordered "Sense8" from Andy and Lana Wachowski, the creators of "The Matrix" trilogy.
"Andy and Lana Wachowski and Joe Straczynski are among the most imaginative writers and gifted visual storytellers of our time," Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos says in a statement. "Their incredible creations are favorites of Netflix members globally and we can't wait to bring 'Sense8' to life."
Made under collaboration with "Babylon 5" creator J. Michael Straczynski who will serve as the showrunner, the sci-fi thriller is described as "a gripping global tale of minds linked and souls hunted." Other details of the project are still not available, but the series is scheduled to debut in late 2014.
The project marks the Wachowskis' first foray into TV series. The filmmaker duo says, "We're excited to work with Netflix and Georgeville Television on this project, and we've wanted to work with Joe Straczynski for years, chiefly due to the fact his name is harder to pronounce than ours, but also because we share a love of genre and all things nerdy."
Recalling how they came up with the idea, they share, "Several years ago, we had a late night conversation about the ways technology simultaneously unites and divides us, and out of that paradox Sense8 was born."
The Wachowskis recently teamed up with Tom Tykwer in "Cloud Atlas". They will next work on "Jupiter Ascending", in which they are on board to serve as directors, writers and producers.
More Sense8 News
- 'Sherlock' Season 4 Finale Title Revealed - Here's How It May Hint at the Plot
- 'Justice League 2' Pushed Back to Make Room for Ben Affleck's 'Batman'
- Alexa PenaVega Gives Birth to First Child With Husband Carlos
- Roger Ailes - Megyn Kelly Harassment Movie Is in the Works
- Surprise Baby Bump! Lake Bell Is Expecting Her Second Child
- T.J. Miller Arrested for Hitting Uber Driver
- Savannah Guthrie Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- 'Fast and Furious 8' Reveals Explosive Teaser Trailer and Official Title