Netflix Orders Sci-Fi Series From the Wachowskis
Netflix has recruited other top-notch filmmakers for its next project. Following the success of its original series "House of Cards" executive produced by David Fincher, the company has now ordered "Sense8" from Andy and Lana Wachowski, the creators of "The Matrix" trilogy.
"Andy and Lana Wachowski and Joe Straczynski are among the most imaginative writers and gifted visual storytellers of our time," Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos says in a statement. "Their incredible creations are favorites of Netflix members globally and we can't wait to bring 'Sense8' to life."
Made under collaboration with "Babylon 5" creator J. Michael Straczynski who will serve as the showrunner, the sci-fi thriller is described as "a gripping global tale of minds linked and souls hunted." Other details of the project are still not available, but the series is scheduled to debut in late 2014.
The project marks the Wachowskis' first foray into TV series. The filmmaker duo says, "We're excited to work with Netflix and Georgeville Television on this project, and we've wanted to work with Joe Straczynski for years, chiefly due to the fact his name is harder to pronounce than ours, but also because we share a love of genre and all things nerdy."
Recalling how they came up with the idea, they share, "Several years ago, we had a late night conversation about the ways technology simultaneously unites and divides us, and out of that paradox Sense8 was born."
The Wachowskis recently teamed up with Tom Tykwer in "Cloud Atlas". They will next work on "Jupiter Ascending", in which they are on board to serve as directors, writers and producers.
- Lady GaGa Hits Recording Studio With BloodPop, Mark Ronson and Kevin Parker
- Derek Hough Confirms He's Back on 'Dancing with the Stars', Cheryl Burke Also Returns
- Ruby Rose Splits From Girlfriend Harley Gusman
- Ariana Grande Kisses Mac Miller and Sits on His Lap at VMAs After-Party
- Justin Bieber Wins 8 Titles in Guinness World Records 2017 Edition
- Pregnant Blac Chyna Poses Completely Naked for Paper Magazine
- Sharon Osbourne Faces Backlash After Undergoing Plastic Surgery for Her Ageless Look
- At Rob Lowe Roast, Ann Coulter Ends Up on the Receiving End of Comics' Jabs