George R.R. Martin Plans 'Game of Thrones' Prequel for HBO
Following the success of "Game of Thrones", a prequel of the medieval series may also head to HBO. According to author George R.R. Martin, he has come up with an idea to develop a new show based on his "Dunk and Egg" novellas, which are also set in the world of Westeros, but a hundred years earlier than the events in his "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.
"I have been writing for a number of years a series of novellas set in the same world, the world of Westeros, but a hundred years earlier, about two characters called 'Dunk and Egg'," he says when asked by IGN about the other projects he's developing for HBO. "I published three of those novellas, 'The Hedge Knight', 'The Sworn Sword' and 'The Mystery Knight', and I have in mind about nine or 10 more novellas about the adventures of 'Dunk and Egg'."
"So we have been playing with the idea of doing those as prequels. They would be prequels, in a sense, they're a hundred years earlier but in the same world," Martin goes on sharing. "They're somewhat lighter in tone than the main series, a little more adventurous. But my fans love them and I love the two characters too, and it all ties into Westeros history. So maybe that will be what we'll do."
Since it's set many decades before "Thrones", "Dunk and Egg" will not feature any characters from the current hit HBO series. Even the Mad King Aerys, the last Targaryen to rule in Westeros, isn't alive at the "Dunk and Egg" era. Thus, "Dunk and Egg" wouldn't be a direct prequel to "Thrones".
While Martin doesn't say that the "Thrones" prequel will actually happen, he opens up that finding a showrunner as great as David Benioff and Dan Weiss for his next project is not easy. "The hard part will be - because I have to write these two more ['ASoIaF'] books, as you're aware - so I have to find another ['Game of Thrones' showrunners] David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] to actually run these shows for me after I come up with the concepts and get it going, so I'm looking for those now. It's hard to find a David and a Dan, they're really incredible talents," he says.
More Game of Thrones News
- Baby Before Marriage? Gwen Stefani and Blake Shelton Reportedly Expecting Their First Child
- 'DWTS' Pair Sharna Burgess and Bonner Bolton Fuel Dating Rumors With Flirty Night Out
- Kevin Hart Creates Dimwitted Superhero in First Trailer for 'Captain Underpants'
- Drake Getting Sade's Face Tattooed on His Rib Amid Dating Rumors
- Wiz Khalifa and Juicy J's New Music Video for 'Cell Ready' Is Smoking Hot
- Inside Celine Dion's Diva Behavior on 'The Voice': 'She Was Extremely Entitled'
- Miley Cryrus and Liam Hemsworth Build Playground at Malibu House - Is Baby on the Way?
- 'Spider-Man' Spin-Off About Black Cat and Silver Sable Is in Development