George R.R. Martin Plans 'Game of Thrones' Prequel for HBO
Following the success of "Game of Thrones", a prequel of the medieval series may also head to HBO. According to author George R.R. Martin, he has come up with an idea to develop a new show based on his "Dunk and Egg" novellas, which are also set in the world of Westeros, but a hundred years earlier than the events in his "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.
"I have been writing for a number of years a series of novellas set in the same world, the world of Westeros, but a hundred years earlier, about two characters called 'Dunk and Egg'," he says when asked by IGN about the other projects he's developing for HBO. "I published three of those novellas, 'The Hedge Knight', 'The Sworn Sword' and 'The Mystery Knight', and I have in mind about nine or 10 more novellas about the adventures of 'Dunk and Egg'."
"So we have been playing with the idea of doing those as prequels. They would be prequels, in a sense, they're a hundred years earlier but in the same world," Martin goes on sharing. "They're somewhat lighter in tone than the main series, a little more adventurous. But my fans love them and I love the two characters too, and it all ties into Westeros history. So maybe that will be what we'll do."
Since it's set many decades before "Thrones", "Dunk and Egg" will not feature any characters from the current hit HBO series. Even the Mad King Aerys, the last Targaryen to rule in Westeros, isn't alive at the "Dunk and Egg" era. Thus, "Dunk and Egg" wouldn't be a direct prequel to "Thrones".
While Martin doesn't say that the "Thrones" prequel will actually happen, he opens up that finding a showrunner as great as David Benioff and Dan Weiss for his next project is not easy. "The hard part will be - because I have to write these two more ['ASoIaF'] books, as you're aware - so I have to find another ['Game of Thrones' showrunners] David [Benioff] and Dan [Weiss] to actually run these shows for me after I come up with the concepts and get it going, so I'm looking for those now. It's hard to find a David and a Dan, they're really incredible talents," he says.
More Game of Thrones News
- Dr. Dre Detained Outside His Malibu House After an Alleged Road Rage
- Sarah Silverman Gets Booed for Mocking Bernie Sanders Supporters at DNC
- Kiersey Clemons Confirmed to Star as Iris West in 'The Flash' Movie
- Mariah Carey's Fiance James Packer Grabs Her Boob While Partying in Italy
- 'The Bachelorette': JoJo Picks Final Two After Ruining a Suitor's Fantasy Suite Date
- Justin Bieber and Cody Simpson's Unreleased Song 'Stay Together' Surfaces Online
- 'He's a Dirty Dog!' Sharon Osbourne Blasts Ozzy for Comments on Their Marriage
- Katharine McPhee and Boyfriend Elyes Gabel Call It Quits After Two Years