'Guardians of the Galaxy' Casts WWE's Wrestler Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer
Mixed martial artist and former WWE wrestler Dave Bautista joins the cast of Marvel Studios' "Guardians of the Galaxy". Bautista will team up with "Parks and Recreation" star Chris Pratt, who was signed earlier in February.
"Guardians of the Galaxy", which has ties to "The Avengers" and will connect to other Marvel movies, centers on Pratt's character Star-Lord, a U.S. pilot who ends up in space in the middle of a universal conflict and goes on the run with futuristic ex-cons who have something everyone wants.
Bautista's character Drax is a former human whose spirit is resurrected in the powerful body of a green-skinned warrior with enhanced strength and the ability to blast energy from his hands. His purpose is to kill Thanos, the mysterious character featured during the credits for "The Avengers", after his family was killed by the villain.
Isaiah Mustafa a.k.a. the Old Spice Guy and Brian Patrick Wade were reportedly considered to be Drax the Destroyer before Bautista eventually won the role.
Other characters in the superhero film include the assassin Gamora, the giant tree-man Groot and the talking raccoon, Rocket. The film will be directed by "Slither" director James Gunn and make its way out in U.S. theaters on August 1, 2014.
More Guardians of the Galaxy News
- Ana and Christian Get Frisky in Eatery in New 'Fifty Shades Darker' Trailer
- NBC's 'Hairspray Live!': How Twitter Reacts
- Jonathan Cheban Calls KimYe Divorce Rumors 'Histerical', Says Couple Is 'in Good Spirits'
- 'Tomb Raider' Remake Finds Villain in Walton Goggins
- Nicki Minaj Teams Up With Fetty Wap for 'Like a Star', Surprises Fans With New Bouncy Track
- Caitlyn Jenner to Become Mom Next Year as She's Banned From Meeting Baby Dream
- Rihanna Squashes Beyonce Grammys Feud Rumors: 'This Is Just Unnecessary!'
- Zac Efron Goes Shirtless in Teaser Trailer for 'Baywatch'