'Guardians of the Galaxy' Casts WWE's Wrestler Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer
Mixed martial artist and former WWE wrestler Dave Bautista joins the cast of Marvel Studios' "Guardians of the Galaxy". Bautista will team up with "Parks and Recreation" star Chris Pratt, who was signed earlier in February.
"Guardians of the Galaxy", which has ties to "The Avengers" and will connect to other Marvel movies, centers on Pratt's character Star-Lord, a U.S. pilot who ends up in space in the middle of a universal conflict and goes on the run with futuristic ex-cons who have something everyone wants.
Bautista's character Drax is a former human whose spirit is resurrected in the powerful body of a green-skinned warrior with enhanced strength and the ability to blast energy from his hands. His purpose is to kill Thanos, the mysterious character featured during the credits for "The Avengers", after his family was killed by the villain.
Isaiah Mustafa a.k.a. the Old Spice Guy and Brian Patrick Wade were reportedly considered to be Drax the Destroyer before Bautista eventually won the role.
Other characters in the superhero film include the assassin Gamora, the giant tree-man Groot and the talking raccoon, Rocket. The film will be directed by "Slither" director James Gunn and make its way out in U.S. theaters on August 1, 2014.
More Guardians of the Galaxy News
- Harry Styles Stops His Concert to Pay Tribute to Victims of Manchester Bombing
- Jack Kesy Rumored to Play Tom Cassidy in 'Deadpool 2'
- The Great War Is Coming in First Trailer for 'Game of Thrones' Season 7
- First Look at Benicio Del Toro and Laura Dern, Captain Phasma Unmasked in 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'
- Beware Angelina Jolie! Brad Pitt Is Ready to Publish a Tell-All
- Kelly Clarkson and Jennifer Hudson Are Fighting Over 'The Voice' Gig
- Mariah Carey and Nick Cannon Are Planning to Remarry This Summer
- Fans Are Begging Justin Bieber to Cancel His Upcoming U.K. Concerts