'Guardians of the Galaxy' Casts WWE's Wrestler Dave Bautista as Drax the Destroyer
Mixed martial artist and former WWE wrestler Dave Bautista joins the cast of Marvel Studios' "Guardians of the Galaxy". Bautista will team up with "Parks and Recreation" star Chris Pratt, who was signed earlier in February.
"Guardians of the Galaxy", which has ties to "The Avengers" and will connect to other Marvel movies, centers on Pratt's character Star-Lord, a U.S. pilot who ends up in space in the middle of a universal conflict and goes on the run with futuristic ex-cons who have something everyone wants.
Bautista's character Drax is a former human whose spirit is resurrected in the powerful body of a green-skinned warrior with enhanced strength and the ability to blast energy from his hands. His purpose is to kill Thanos, the mysterious character featured during the credits for "The Avengers", after his family was killed by the villain.
Isaiah Mustafa a.k.a. the Old Spice Guy and Brian Patrick Wade were reportedly considered to be Drax the Destroyer before Bautista eventually won the role.
Other characters in the superhero film include the assassin Gamora, the giant tree-man Groot and the talking raccoon, Rocket. The film will be directed by "Slither" director James Gunn and make its way out in U.S. theaters on August 1, 2014.
More Guardians of the Galaxy News
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie