Mumford and Sons Explores New Genre on Next Album, May Work With Jay-Z
English band Mumford & Sons just won this year's Grammy for Album of the Year for their album "Babel", which is why their recent pronouncement may stun not just their fans but all who know the Marcus Mumford-fronted band for their folk rock sound. The British act wants to rap on their next project and has apparently contacted hip-hop superstar Jay-Z for their third album.
When asked what direction the band was going to take for their next recording, Mumford said, "Like, hip-hop. We really want to rap. We've just got so much to say - saying it through a melody doesn't really work for me. We've been talking with Jay-Z about it, you know. It's gonna be a fresh experience for our band." But even with such an elaborate answer, Mumford's silly grin gave him away, short of saying that a hip-hop album for the banjo and mandolin-playing quartet was simply too far-fetched for anyone to take seriously.
Nonetheless, the group confirmed that they did want to try out a new genre of music on their next album. Working on new ideas while on their winter arena tour, keyboardist Ben Lovett revealed, "We're getting into the habit of just sort of working on stuff. I do feel like we're ready to make the departure."
Lovett explained the motivation for a new sound on their third album, "There's definitely cohesion between the two albums ('Sigh No More' and 'Babel'). Now that we've done that, we're not desperate to walk away from that sound, but we're willing to explore what else we could do. These two albums are like brothers. Do something that's a cousin."
- 'Outlander' Casts David Berry in Pivotal Role of Lord John Grey
- 'Zombieland 2' Still Happening With Original's Scribes on Board
- Kim Kardashian Reportedly Furious Over Blac Chyna's Naked Photos for Paper Magazine
- Stephen Colbert Takes on Anthony Weiner's Sexting Scandal, Spoofs Beyonce's VMA Performance
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture