M.I.A. Slams Grammys, Accuses the Awards of Stealing Her Idea for Bob Marley Tribute
M.I.A. is stirring another controversy. The Tamil-British raptress has recently accused the 2013 Grammy Awards of stealing her intellectual property for the Bob Marley tribute session during the Sunday, February 10 event.
Taking to her Tumblr page, the "Paper Planes" hitmaker posted a screenshot that compares a stage concept for her January gig and the one applied during the Bob Marley tribute at recent Grammys. A caption in the photo read, "MIA VS. THE SYSTEM. Stealing log 2013. MIA set at Enmore Jan 2013 Vs. Grammys Feb 2013."
There was another one that read, "My ideas came from my life. My set was based on Tamil Hindu temple. Not Bob Marley." Not only that, but she also tweeted, "IM KEEPING A STEAL LOG THIS YEAR HERE THE ONE FOR JAN / FEB > MIA $500 : GRAMMYS $5000000." The posting, however, had since been deleted.
Both M.I.A and the Grammys were indeed using similar designs for their stage. They used light up box frames. While the "Bad Girls" singer applied one square for her stage, the Grammys used multiple rectangles. M.I.A. additionally claimed, "IF U WANNA SEE THE REAL THING OR GET IT FIRST COME TO A M.I.A. SHOW!"
The Grammys' tribute to Bob Marley featured performances from Sting, Rihanna, Bruno Mars, as well as Damian Marley and Ziggy Marley. As for M.I.A., she's been nominated three times, but never won any Grammy. The 37-year-old artist is currently working on her new music with Hit-Boy.
M.I.A's January show:
Grammys' tribute to Bob Marley:
- Bella Thorne Rises to Stardom in Trailer for 'Famous in Love' From 'Pretty Little Liars' Creator
- Justin Bieber Accidentally Reactivates Instagram Account
- Madonna, Usher and More Stars Pay Tribute to Michael Jackson on His Birthday
- 'Bachelor in Paradise' Recap: More Fights and Departures
- Britney and Beyonce Under Fire for Their VMAs Performances. Plus Get Details on Their Backstage Feud
- Taylor Swift Dismissed From Jury Duty due to Her Ongoing Sexual Abuse Case
- Production on 'The Maze Runner: The Death Cure' to Resume in February 2017
- Blake Lively Hosts Private Baby Shower With Taylor Swift