Scarlett Johansson Reveals She Lost 'Les Mis' Role to Anne Hathaway Due to Laryngitis
Little did people know that Scarlett Johansson was also testing for Fantine role in now Oscar-nominated "Les Miserables". She, however, had to lose the highly coveted part to Anne Hathaway because she didn't give her best performance during the audition due to laryngitis.
The "Hitchcock" actress recalled the audition that required her to sing live. "I sang my little heart out," she told Broadway.com. "I auditioned with laryngitis. I did everything I could to, like, not have laryngitis."
Eventually she failed to snatch the role of the leading lady who is famous with her tear-jerking song of "I Dreamed a Dream". Still, ScarJo's glad the part went to Hathaway, who is now nominated for Oscar's Best Supporting Actress thanks to "Les Mis".
"I think, looking at the film now, there's no possible way I ever could have topped that performance," Johansson praised the Catwoman of "The Dark Knight Rises". She gushed, "It was perfect and I think fateful and meant to be."
Apart from Hathaway, Johansson had to compete with the likes of Jessica Biel, Amy Adams, Marion Cotillard, Kate Winslet and Rebecca Hall for the Fantine role. Though she didn't get the job, the Black Widow of "The Avengers" said her audition "brought back so many memories" to her.
The 28-year-old actress shared that back when she was a kid, she tried to claim the part of Cosette in a "Les Mis" play. "It was fun for me to revisit that," she said.
"Les Miserables" is up for eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Actor (Hugh Jackman), and Best Supporting Actress (Hathaway). Most recently, Hathaway took home the supporting actress award at the 2013 BAFTAs in England. She also bagged the same title at the Golden Globes and the SAG Awards.
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences