Scarlett Johansson Reveals She Lost 'Les Mis' Role to Anne Hathaway Due to Laryngitis
Little did people know that Scarlett Johansson was also testing for Fantine role in now Oscar-nominated "Les Miserables". She, however, had to lose the highly coveted part to Anne Hathaway because she didn't give her best performance during the audition due to laryngitis.
The "Hitchcock" actress recalled the audition that required her to sing live. "I sang my little heart out," she told Broadway.com. "I auditioned with laryngitis. I did everything I could to, like, not have laryngitis."
Eventually she failed to snatch the role of the leading lady who is famous with her tear-jerking song of "I Dreamed a Dream". Still, ScarJo's glad the part went to Hathaway, who is now nominated for Oscar's Best Supporting Actress thanks to "Les Mis".
"I think, looking at the film now, there's no possible way I ever could have topped that performance," Johansson praised the Catwoman of "The Dark Knight Rises". She gushed, "It was perfect and I think fateful and meant to be."
Apart from Hathaway, Johansson had to compete with the likes of Jessica Biel, Amy Adams, Marion Cotillard, Kate Winslet and Rebecca Hall for the Fantine role. Though she didn't get the job, the Black Widow of "The Avengers" said her audition "brought back so many memories" to her.
The 28-year-old actress shared that back when she was a kid, she tried to claim the part of Cosette in a "Les Mis" play. "It was fun for me to revisit that," she said.
"Les Miserables" is up for eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Actor (Hugh Jackman), and Best Supporting Actress (Hathaway). Most recently, Hathaway took home the supporting actress award at the 2013 BAFTAs in England. She also bagged the same title at the Golden Globes and the SAG Awards.
- Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Kyo Are Asked to Tie the Knot at 'DotS' Theme Park
- New Couple Alert! Brooklyn Beckham and Madison Beer Are Dating
- 'Gambit' Is Being Reworked Following Success of 'Deadpool' and 'Logan'
- Rob Kardashian Returns to Twitter to Post Photo of Daughter Dream
- 'Home Alone' Actor John Heard Dies at 72
- Comic-Con: 'The Walking Dead' First Season 8 Trailer Teases Major Time Jump
- Jeremy Meeks and Chloe Green Make Out During L.A. Coffee Run: We Are in Love
- Beyonce's Madame Tussauds Wax Figure 'Adjusted' After Whitewashing Controversy