'American Idol' Hollywood Week - Part 2: 28 Guys Left, 8 More to Be Eliminated
After surviving the group round, the remaining 43 men in "American Idol" season 12 sang once again in the Thursday, February 7 episode in an attempt to nab a spot in the live show. Each of them sang solo and only 28 guys remained after this round.
Those who didn't make it included Matheus Fernandes, the former "The Glee Project" contestant. His performance of Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger" was shaky and Nicki Minaj didn't like that he kept making self-depreciating comments about his height. "Things can go from being inspiring to becoming you wanting a pity party...You don't have to milk that ever again," she told him.
Papa Peachez also disappointed Nicki with his rendition of Lady GaGa's "You and I". "I'm pretty sure that flame is now completely burnt out. I'm so disappointed. I don't know why you would choose that song. I can't believe you allowed this competition to just suck that amazing quality out of you," the Harajuku Barbie complained.
Also getting the boot was warehouse worker Nicolas Mathis. Keith Urban said at the end of his performance, "When you said chasing a dream, I got the feeling you were chasing a song." Micah Johnson, the boy with nerve damage, Gabe Brown, Sanni M'mairura and Nate Tao didn't make the cut either.
On the other hand, Paul Jolley stayed on the show despite his nerves that caused him to wobble onstage. He delivered a cover of "Blown Away", and Nicki criticized him, "You walked out so defeated and that really irritated me. That is such a turnoff. Give us one minute of professionalism!"
Charlie Askew, meanwhile, got Nicki blown away with his performance of Gotye's "Somebody That I Used to Know". She praised the 17-year-old, "Today you became an artist in my eyes."
Lazaro Arbos, Curtis Finch, Jr., Devin Velez, Gupreet Singh Sarin, Cortez Shaw, Adam Sanders, Jimmy Smith, Johnny Keyser, Vincent Powell, Mathenee Treco, Burnell Taylor and Marvin Calderon were among the 28 guys who advanced. Next week after the girls sing, 8 more guys will be eliminated.
- Gisele Bundchen, Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid Among Highest-Paid Models 2016
- Selena Gomez Takes a Break, Cancels Tour Amid Battle With Depression due to Lupus
- 'Arrow' Season 5 Shows First Look at Villainous Prometheus
- Blake Lively Celebrates Baby Shower With Taylor Swift
- Gabby Douglas Apologizes After Missing VMAs due to Health Issues
- First Look at Miley Cyrus as Hippie in Woody Allen's 'Crisis in Six Scenes'
- Drake and Rihanna Kiss on Instagram, Enjoy Date Night After VMAs
- Chris Brown Reacts to Accusations That He Pulled Gun on Woman