J.J. Abrams: Directing 'Star Wars' Is an Absolute Honor
J.J. Abrams finally breaks silence on his involvement in "Star Wars Episode 7". Though the report that he would direct the big project had been circulating for a few days, it was not until Saturday, January 26 that the "Star Trek" helmer confirmed his directing gig himself and shared his excitement of becoming a part of the much-talked-about project.
Saying that directing a "Star Wars" pic was like a dream comes true, Abrams gushed, "To be a part of the next chapter of the 'Star Wars' saga, to collaborate with Kathy Kennedy and this remarkable group of people, is an absolute honor." He went, "I may be even more grateful to George Lucas now than I was as a kid."
"Star Wars" creator George Lucas was equally thrilled to welcome the "Super 8" helmer to the space saga franchise. "I've consistently been impressed with J.J. as a filmmaker and storyteller," Lucas said. "He's an ideal choice to direct the new 'Star Wars' film and the legacy couldn't be in better hands."
LucasFilm's chief, Kathleen Kennedy, added, "It's very exciting to have J.J. aboard leading the charge as we set off to make a new 'Star Wars' movie. J.J. is the perfect director to helm this. Beyond having such great instincts as a filmmaker, he has an intuitive understanding of this franchise. He understands the essence of the 'Star Wars' experience, and will bring that talent to create an unforgettable motion picture."
Abrams will work for "Episode 7" which screenplay is written by Oscar winner Michael Arndt. The big project is set to arrive in theaters Stateside sometime in 2015. Though he will be busy working on this dream project, it has been confirmed that Abrams would not abandon the "Star Trek" franchise, which coincidentally is dubbed a rival of the "Star Wars" franchise.
Paramount Pictures Vice Chairman Rob Moore has made it clear that Abrams would still at least serve as the producer of "Star Trek 3". He stated, "J.J. will continue to develop projects for us including a new 'Mission: Impossible', and he is committed to produce another 'Star Trek'."
More Star Wars: The Force Awakens News
- 'DWTS' Pro Peta Murgatroyd and Maksim Chmerkovskiy Expecting First Child, but Something Upset Them
- Ben Affleck Gives Jennifer Garner 11-Carat Diamond Ahead of Their Anniversary - Is It True?
- Iggy Azalea Teases Collaboration With Zedd After Pushing Back Her Album's Release
- Kanye West Ready to Take Legal Action if Sex Tapes Leak
- Yikes! Kendall and Kylie Jenner Reportedly in 'Bizarre Love Triangle' With Scott Disick
- New 'Luke Cage' Set Photos Reveal Villain Diamondback
- Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson's Marriage Reportedly Crumbles. Here's the Truth
- Prince Hated the Idea of Appearing in a Music Video With Madonna