Steve Carell's 'The Way, Way Back' Breaks Deal Record at Sundance Film Festival
"The Way, Way Back" set the bar high at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival. The dramedy starring Steve Carell has reportedly scored what seemed to be the biggest deal in the history of the Utah film festival. Acquired by Fox Searchlight, the movie was sold for a reported $9.75 million.
After it was screened at Eccles on Monday, January 21, the Nax Faxon and Jim Rash-directed pic sparked the most heated bidding war at Sundance, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Fox Searchlight finally won the North American rights of the movie, while the international rights were represented by Sierra/Affinity.
Filmed in Massachusetts, "The Way, Way Back" centers on a 15-year-old boy's fateful summer when his family rents a beach house. It follows the adventures of the teenage boy who finds the courage to stand up to his aggressive stepfather. The youngster also forms an unlikely friendship with the owner of a water park, and is able to finally reconnect with his mother.
The film is also supported by Maya Rudolph, AnnaSophia Robb and Amanda Peet.
Just before "The Way, Way Back" found its distributor on Tuesday morning, another high-profile deal took place as Relativity Media acquired the U.S. rights to Joseph Gordon-Levitt's directorial debut "Don Jon's Addiction" for a reported $4 million. It marked one of the biggest deals at Sundance.
Also stealing attention was The Weinstein Co. which bought Octavia Spencer-starring "Fruitvale" about the Oscar Grant tragedy in 2009. The film was picked up by TWC for a reported $2.5 million. On the same day, the company also snatched "Concussion", a directorial debut by Stacie Passion, for a seven-figure deal.
- John Legend Expresses His Anger and Hope in 'In America'
- Ryan Gosling Explains His Giggle During Oscar Fiasco
- Report: Kevin Hart's Wife Eniko Pregnant With Their First Child
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Starts Filming in Scotland, Set Photos and Video Arrive
- 'Orphan Black' Unveils First Photos and Details of Final Season
- Hailey Baldwin Fuels Cameron Dallas Dating Rumors as They're Spotted Grabbing Lunch Together
- Donald Trump and Wife Melania Reportedly Sleep in Separate Bedrooms and Never Spend a Night Together
- Iggy Azalea Is Twerking in Sneak Peek of 'Mo Bounce' Music Video