Barbra Streisand to Be the 2013 Honoree of Chaplin Award
Barbra Streisand will be the honoree of the Film Society of Lincoln Center's 40th annual Chaplin Award. The veteran singer/actress, who recently appeared in family drama "The Guilt Trip", is set to receive the honor for her accomplishments on screen and stage as writer, director, producer and actress.
FSLC Executive Director, Rose Kuo, says in a statement, "Barbra Streisand is an American icon whose groundbreaking work significantly opened the doors for other female filmmakers. She has been an inspiration to me and so many of my peers. She is the perfect recipient for our 40th anniversary because, like our award's namesake, she is a world class, multi-faceted film artist."
Also singing praises to the 70-year-old actress is FSLC Board Chairman, Ann Tenenbaum. She gushes, "The Board is very excited to have Barbra Streisand as the next recipient of The Chaplin Award."
"She is an artist whose long career of incomparable achievements is most powerfully expressed by the fact that her acclaimed Yentl was the first full-length feature directed, acted, written and produced by an American woman. We welcome her to the list of masterful directors who have been prior recipients of the Chaplin Award Tribute."
The special achievement award will be handed out to Brooklyn-born Streisand during a gala on Monday, April 22. Prior to "Little Fockers" star, a number of legendary filmmakers and actors had received the prize, including Martin Scorsese, Meryl Streep, Alfred Hitchcock, Sidney Poitier, Elizabeth Taylor, and, of course, Charlie Chaplin himself at the inaugural edition back in 1972.
Throughout her career, Streisand won two Oscars, eight Grammys, five Emmys, an AFI award, a Kennedy Center Honors award, a Peabody Award and a special Tony Award. After starring in "Guilt Trip" with Andy Samberg, she is expected make her first directing stint in 16 years with "Skinny and Cat".
- Liam Hemsworth Defends His 2012 Engagement to Miley Cyrus
- Jamie Foxx's Wild Night Out: Boozing and Grinding With Mystery Women
- Listen to Jamie Lynn Spears' Comeback Single 'Sleepover'
- Chloe Moretz: 'I Wanted a Boob Job and Butt Reduction' at Age 16
- Bradley Cooper and Irina Shayk Talk About Building a Future and Having Kids Together
- Check Out These New 'Fast 8' Ice Cars From Iceland Set
- Kelly Clarkson Signs With Atlantic Records, Readies Soul Album for Next Year
- Jesse Is Back on 'The Flash' in Season 3. Will She Turn Into Speedster?