Jennifer Lawrence Explains 'I Beat Meryl' Speech at Golden Globes
Jennifer Lawrence is accused of dissing Meryl Streep with her "I beat Meryl" comment at the 2013 Golden Globes last Sunday night, January 13, but the "Silver Linings Playbook" star insists she did not do such thing. "It was a quote from 'First Wives Club'," she explained to David Letterman.
"I was like, 'is that what this turned into? I don't like Meryl Streep?' " the actress said. "As if I've had my eyes on getting that girl forever and I was like, 'Finally! I knew it would happen one day!' " She furthermore uttered, "I wanted to make a public statement, like: 'Hey idiots, it's a quote. From a movie.' "
Lawrence quoted Bette Midler's character when she picked up an Oscar trophy won by Goldie Hawn's character in the "The First Wives Club". Although Streep herself hasn't said a word about her joke, Lawrence is certain there's no bad blood between them. "She doesn't care," she said.
Lawrence said, "What does it say? 'I beat Meryl!' " after accepting Best Actress at the 70th annual Golden Globes in Los Angeles. The fact that she technically beat "The Iron Lady" star since the veteran actress was also a nominee led some to jump into conclusion that she took a dig at her senior.
One of those who made a big fuss about it was Lindsay Lohan who constantly tweeted her comments about the Golden Globes throughout the show. "No1 should ever mess with a legend, such as Meryl Streep," the former child actress wrote.
Lawrence just couldn't understand why it's hard to catch on her Meryl joke, "I can't believe nobody's ever done it before!" She might tone down any quip she makes next time she takes the stage for an acceptance speech, which her fans would disagree. "It's never a good idea for me to wing it," so she said.
It's not the first time she made a movie reference in her acceptance speech. Earlier this month, she made a reference to LiLo's movie when collecting a prize at People's Choice Awards. "I wish this was like 'Mean Girls' and I could just break this up and throw it at all of you, because you're all responsible," she said.
Lawrence braved the flu when coming to the Golden Globes. Despite feeling ill, she still looked stunning in a strapless Dior Haute Couture dress with a voluminous skirt. Meryl felt under the weather as well. She was supposed to present Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama), but couldn't make it. George Clooney took over the duty.
More Jennifer Lawrence News
- Despite Chipped Tooth and Skin Rash, Kim Kardashian Has Lots of Fun at Las Vegas Party
- Comic-Con: Brie Larson Officially Named Captain Marvel
- Comic-Con: 'The Vampire Diaries' Announced to End With Season 8. How Fans React?
- After Breaking Down on Stage, Selena Gomez Posts Cryptic Message on Instagram
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers