Shawty Lo's 'All My Babies' Mamas' Canceled by Oxygen Following Racism Accusation
Shawty Lo's "All My Babies' Mamas" will not see the light of the day. Oxygen released a statement on Tuesday, January 15, saying, "As part of our development process, we have reviewed casting and decided not to move forward with the special. We will continue to develop compelling content that resonates with our young female viewers and drives the cultural conversation."
The cancellation came hot on the heels of racism accusation against the show. ColorOfChange.org said in a petition that the show promoted "inaccurate, dehumanizing and harmful perceptions of Black families." Executive director of the civil rights group, Rashad Robinson, stated, "We want to help the media understand this is not just entertainment. This is not just about profit. This is about people's lives."
Additionally, petitioner Sabrina Lamb described the show as a "one hour spectacle where 11 children are forced to witness their 10 unwed mothers clamor for financial support, emotional attention and sexual reward from Shawty-Lo, the apathetic 'father'." She urged people to "sign today to tell Oxygen that their viewers will not tolerate a show that exploits and stereotypes Black children and families, and we will boycott any advertiser who chooses to support the show."
Oxygen denied the accusation, claiming, "Oxygen's one-hour special in development is not meant to be a stereotypical representation of everyday life for any one demographic or cross section of society. It is a look at one unique family and their complicated, intertwined life. Oxygen Media's diverse team of creative executives will continue developing the show with this point of view."
Billed as a one-hour special, "All My Babies' Mamas" centers on Atlanta-based rapper Shawty Lo who has 11 children with 10 different women. It will capture the issues arising as all the women and the children move into one home together, forcing Lo "to split his affection multiple ways while trying to create order."
- 'Womanizer' Scott Disick Cozies Up to 6th Woman in Monaco
- Emily Ratajkowski Goes Nude on the Set of New Thriller 'Welcome Home'
- Rihanna Sparks Pregnancy Speculations
- Suzy Hints That She's Missing Boyfriend Lee Min Ho in New Instagram Pic
- Big Bang's G-Dragon Sports Cornrows and Heavy Makeup in New Instagram Pics
- Pregnant Nikki Reed Bares Cleavage in Sexy Maternity Clothes
- Cristiano Ronaldo's Mother Laughs Off Georgina Rodriguez Pregnancy Rumor: 'It's Nonsense'
- Lamar Odom Is Refused Entry at Los Angeles Strip Club