David Bowie Releases New Single and Album After a Decade-Long Hiatus
World-renowned artist David Bowie returns to the spotlight after ten years of absence by releasing new single "Where Are We Now" on January 8. That same day, which happened to be his 66th birthday, Bowie gave his multitude of fans a surprise treat by announcing that a new album "The Next Day", his first album since 2003's "Reality", was set to be released on March 12.
Bowie shocked fans by breaking a decade-long silence by releasing his new single "Where Are We Now", written by Bowie himself, produced by longtime collaborator Tony Viscotti, and recorded in New York City. It is the first track off his upcoming album "The Next Day", Bowie's 30th studio recording, which will feature 14 tracks in its standard edition and 17 tracks in the deluxe edition.
In "Where Are We Now", Bowie's face is placed on top of a furry stuffed animal sitting in a chair. He appears to have aged, but his voice is as cool as ever. The signature Bowie sound and his distinctive voice plays out the mid-tempo, low-key track. The video, directed by Tony Oursler, also features footage of an auto repair shop beneath the apartment where Bowie stayed when he once lived in Berlin.
The flamboyant star has ended years of speculation and rumors of ill-health with his new work. He last performed back in 2006 and was rarely seen in public since then, even turning down an opportunity to perform in last year's London Olympics despite a personal appeal by the opening ceremony's director Danny Boyle.
"Throwing shadows and avoiding the industry treadmill is very David Bowie despite his extraordinary track record that includes album sales in excess of 130 million not to mention his massive contributions in the area of art, fashion, style, sexual exploration and social commentary," said his spokesman. "It goes without saying that he has sold out stadiums and broken ticket records throughout the world during this most influential of careers."
More David Bowie News
- Amy Schumer Snogs Ben Hanisch on Kiss Cam During Mets Game
- Oh Boy! Harry Styles Rocks Three Different Looks for Another Man Magazine
- Taylor Lautner Says Britney Spears Tried to Set Him Up With Her Sister Jamie Lynn
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Do Have a Pre-Nup. So, Who's the Big Winner?
- 'Thor: Ragnarok': 'Jurassic Park' Star Sam Neill Reveals His Secret Role
- Lindsay Lohan's Ex Egor Denies He's Broke and Let Her Pay for Everything While Still Dating
- 'Last Man on Earth' Premiere Features Surprise Cameo, Stages Mini 'Mad Men' Reunion
- Blac Chyna's Mom Scolds Rob Kardashian, Fears He Will 'Ruin' Their Relationship