David Letterman Calls Jay Leno the Most Insecure Person He's Ever Known
Since being snubbed by NBC in favor of Jay Leno to replace Johnny Carson in "Tonight Show" slot, David Letterman makes no secret of his bitterness toward his rival. In a new interview on "Oprah's Next Chapter" that will air January 6, the 65-year-old host said their feud was more complicated than just a job rivalry.
"We were always friends before all of this happened," he said. "He has a way...he's an unusual fellow. I've never met anyone quite like Jay. And I will say - and I'm happy to say - that I think he is the funniest guy I've ever known. Just flat out, if you go to see him do his nightclub act, just the funniest, the smartest, a wonderful observationist and very appealing as a comic."
However, there's one big turn-off that made Letterman, who now hosts "Late Show with David Letterman" on CBS, would never call a truce in his war with Leno, 62. "The fact that he is also maybe the most insecure person I have ever known...I could never reconcile that," he told his frenemy Oprah Winfrey.
More David Letterman News
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary
- Did Jennifer Lawrence Just Say She Was Under the Influence While Filming 'The Hunger Games'?
- Helen Hunt Mistaken for Jodie Foster by Starbucks Barista. Read the Funny Story