Randy Travis Enters Not-Guilty Plea to Assault
Randy Travis pleaded not guilty to simple assault charge stemming from an altercation in the parking lot outside Prestonwood Baptist Church at 6801 West Park Boulevard last summer. In a municipal courtroom in the Dallas suburb of Plano on Friday, December 21, the 53-year-old country music singer insisted that he didn't pick a fight.
Travis' lawyer Peter A. Schulte told Reuters he's "absolutely not guilty of this crime." The attorney added, "He was actually being a good Samaritan at the time, stepping in to save two women from being assaulted." The singer himself didn't make any comment other than, "Don't believe everything you see and hear. Merry Christmas, have a happy and healthy New Year. God bless."
Travis was charged with Class C simple assault in August. He, who's allegedly with his daughter back then, was accused of roughing up another man when trying to intervene a fight between his girlfriend and her estranged husband. The couple allegedly had a heated argument about the visitation of their son. In his defense, he said he simply came to the rescue of the ladies.
In the same month, Travis was taken into police custody and charged with DWI and retaliation. He reportedly was found drunk and buck naked by cops in a single accident in North Texas on August 7. He allegedly showed several signs of intoxication but refused to take sobriety tests. He reportedly threatened to kill the police who arrested him.
A Few months earlier in February, police hauled the "Forever and Ever, Amen" hitmaker off to jail for drunken driving while sitting in his car in the parking lot of another church in north Texas. His lawyer insisted he's sobering up since the public intoxications.
- Queen Elizabeth Visits Victims of Manchester Attack in Hospital
- 'Wonder Woman' Women-Only Screening Enrages Male Fans
- T.I.'s Alleged Side Chick Bernice Burgos Reportedly Wants to Have Baby With Him
- Katy Perry Tears Up as She Pays Tribute to Manchester Bombing Victims at London Gig
- Rosario Dawson in Talks for 'X-Men: New Mutants', Two Others Eyed to Play Mirage
- Sophia Bush Exits 'Chicago P.D.' After Four Seasons
- Niall Horan Promises One Direction Reunion, With Zayn Malik
- Bella Thorne Says Cannes 'Isn't for Me' as Scott Disick Ditches Her for Ex Chloe Bartoli