Randy Travis Enters Not-Guilty Plea to Assault
Randy Travis pleaded not guilty to simple assault charge stemming from an altercation in the parking lot outside Prestonwood Baptist Church at 6801 West Park Boulevard last summer. In a municipal courtroom in the Dallas suburb of Plano on Friday, December 21, the 53-year-old country music singer insisted that he didn't pick a fight.
Travis' lawyer Peter A. Schulte told Reuters he's "absolutely not guilty of this crime." The attorney added, "He was actually being a good Samaritan at the time, stepping in to save two women from being assaulted." The singer himself didn't make any comment other than, "Don't believe everything you see and hear. Merry Christmas, have a happy and healthy New Year. God bless."
Travis was charged with Class C simple assault in August. He, who's allegedly with his daughter back then, was accused of roughing up another man when trying to intervene a fight between his girlfriend and her estranged husband. The couple allegedly had a heated argument about the visitation of their son. In his defense, he said he simply came to the rescue of the ladies.
In the same month, Travis was taken into police custody and charged with DWI and retaliation. He reportedly was found drunk and buck naked by cops in a single accident in North Texas on August 7. He allegedly showed several signs of intoxication but refused to take sobriety tests. He reportedly threatened to kill the police who arrested him.
A Few months earlier in February, police hauled the "Forever and Ever, Amen" hitmaker off to jail for drunken driving while sitting in his car in the parking lot of another church in north Texas. His lawyer insisted he's sobering up since the public intoxications.
- Too Little, Too Late? Taylor Swift's Support for Women's March Is Met With Backlash
- Get First Look at Benedict Cumberbatch as Thomas Edison in 'Current War'
- Kylie Jenner Shows a Lot of Skin in Barely There Two-Piece
- Is Selena Gomez Begging for Justin Bieber's 'Blessing' to Date The Weeknd After JB Calls Him 'Wack'?
- 'Logan' Is Not Set in the Same 'X-Men' Universe, According to Hugh Jackman
- Gavin Rossdale Doesn't Want to Divorce Gwen Stefani, Says She's Still 'Incredible'
- John Legend Breaks Silence on Being Called 'Monkey' by Paparazzo
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video