HBO Extends 'Game of Thrones' Season 3 Episodes
A few extra minutes are added to the upcoming episodes of "Game of Thrones". As it enters the third season, the hit epic series will be longer in duration because the showrunners are adapting it from the first half of George R.R. Martin's third book, "A Storm of Swords", which is considerably longer than the previous two novels.
Telling Entertainment Weekly that the season will still keep the 10-episode tradition, producer Dan Weiss said, "There's almost another full episode's worth of extra minutes spread across the season. One of the great liberties with HBO is we're not forced to come in at a specific time. We can't be under 50 minutes or over 60, but that gives us a lot of flexibility."
Fellow producer David Benioff revealed that the additional time is around four to five minutes per episode. "A super-sized season, as befitting Storm of Swords. Last year we had a lot of 52-minute episodes. This year is a lot of 56, 57," he said. However, it's a work in progress and the exact times will not be determined until later.
Overall, the third season will gain more than one hour. "All 10 episodes gained a minute or two from past seasons with the finale very possibly exceeding 60 minutes," HBO said in a statement. Weiss added, "So for people clamoring for another episode, it's in there. It's just been cut into tiny pieces."
The new season begins March 31. Benioff previously said that they are "trying to be faithful to the books while recognizing that it's an adaptation."
More Game of Thrones News
- Ten Times Chrissy Teigen Trolls Donald Trump on Twitter
- Yolanda Hadid Who? David Foster Enjoys Romantic Italy Getaway With Elizabeth Hurley
- 'The Star' First Teaser Trailer Tells the Story of Christmas From Different Perspective
- Too Fat! Top Doc Says Mariah Carey Risks Heart Disease After Ballooning to 263 Pounds
- Girls' Generation's Tae Yeon and Hyoyeon Call Out NCT Stalkers on Instagram Story
- Jon Hamm Is a Hologram Husband in Eerie Trailer for Sci-Fi 'Marjorie Prime'
- Kendall Jenner Tries to Win Harry Styles Back by Posting Racy Photos on Social Media
- One Dead, Seven Injured After Ride Malfunctions at Ohio State Fair