'Zero Dark Thirty' Is National Board of Review's Best Film of the Year
For the second time in less than a week, Kathryn Bigelow's "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)" earns a Best Film of the year title at two different awards shows. Just a few days ago, the thriller about Osama bin Laden hunt received the honor from New York Film Critics Circle, and now it is given the same prestigious award by the National Board of Review of Motion Pictures.
Of why the board chooses Bigelow's film as the winner of its highest prize, NBR President Annie Schulhof says, " 'Zero Dark Thirty' is a masterful film." She goes on, "Kathryn Bigelow takes the viewer inside a definitive moment of our time in a visceral and unique way. It is exciting, provocative and deeply emotional."
In addition to claiming the Best Film honor, "Zero Dark Thirty" snatches two other top prizes, which are Best Director for Bigelow and Best Actress for Jessica Chastain. The Best Actor title, meanwhile, goes to Bradley Cooper thanks to his role as a mentally-ill former teacher in "Silver Linings Playbook", which also wins Best Adapted Screenplay for David O. Russell.
Leonardo DiCaprio is named the Best Supporting Actor for playing an evil plantation owner in Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained", while Ann Dowd becomes the Best Supporting Actress thanks to her role as a fast food restaurant manager in "Compliance".
Apart from announcing the winners, NBR unveils its annual list of top ten best movies of the year. "Zero Dark Thirty", "Argo", "Django Unchained", "Les Miserables", "Silver Linings Playbook" and "Looper" make it to the list, joining "Lincoln", "Beasts of the Southern Wild", "Promised Land" and "The Perks of Being a Wallflower".
Founded in 1909, the National Board of Review describes itself as a "select group of knowledgeable film enthusiasts and professionals, academics, young filmmakers and students." The NBR awards will be handed out to the winners during a ceremony on January 8, 2013 at Cipriani 42nd Street in New York City.
2012 National Board of Review Awards Winners:
- Best Film: "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)"
- Best Director: Katheryn Bigelow - "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)"
- Best Actor: Bradley Coope - "Silver Linings Playbook"
- Best Actress: Jessica Chastain - "Zero Dark Thirty (2012)"
- Best Supporting Actor: Leonardo DiCaprio - "Django Unchained"
- Best Supporting Actress: Ann Dowd - "Compliance"
- Best Ensemble: "Les Miserables"
- Best Original Screenplay: Rian Johnson - "Looper"
- Best Adapted Screenplay: David O. Russell - "Silver Linings Playbook"
- Best Animated Feature: "Wreck-It Ralph"
- Special Achievement in Filmmaking: Ben Affleck - "Argo"
- Breakthrough Actor: Tom Holland - "The Impossible"
- Breakthrough Actress: Quvenzhane Wallis - "Beasts of the Southern Wild"
- Best Foreign Language Film: "Amour"
- Best Documentary: "Searching for Sugar Man"
- Cuba Gooding Jr. Generates Online Outrage After Lifting Up Sarah Paulson's Skirt at PaleyFest
- New Footage of 'Blade Runner 2049' Is Screened at CinemaCon
- Nina Agdal Flaunts Her Enviable Figure in Skimpy Bikinis for New Swimwear Campaign
- Matthew Morrison Joins 'Grey's Anatomy' in Mystery Role. Get the First Look
- Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey Confront Each Other in 'The Dark Tower' First Footage
- Kris Jenner's 'Desperate to Hook Up' With O.J. Simpson. What About Toy Boy Corey Gamble?
- The Weeknd Secretly Serenades Selena Gomez at Brazilian Concert Backstage
- 'Arrow': Katie Cassidy Returns for Season 6 as Series Regular With a Twist