Lenny Kravitz to Star as Motown Legend Marvin Gaye in a Biopic
After playing fashion expert Chinna in "The Hunger Games", Lenny Kravitz is set to portray a real life figure in his next film. The rocker-turned-actor has officially been cast as Motown legend Marvin Gaye in a biopic to be directed by Julien Temple, Deadline reports.
The film reportedly will be titled "Midnight Love", and it marks Lenny's first lead role as an actor. The movie is expected to kick off shooting in 2013. The story, meanwhile, will focus on Gaye as he spent his time in Europe in early 1980s.
At the time, the soul singer attempted to get his addictions under control and career back on track with the help of British music promoter Freddy Cousaert. The Washington-born musician died on April 1, 1984 after getting shot by his own father in Los Angeles.
Lenny Kravitz was seen tackling supporting characters in Lee Daniels' awards-winning "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire" and Gary Ross' first "Hunger Games" film. He will reprise his role as Chinna in the sequel "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" and will also reunite with Daniels in White House drama "The Butler".
Director Julien Temple, meanwhile, is best known as a video and documentary maker. He previously directed "Absolute Beginners" and recently helmed the documentary for London Olympics, "London: Modern Babylon".
- Sharon Osbourne Defends Kelly for Trashing Ozzy's Alleged Mistress, Can't Help Laughing at It
- Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley Returning to Host 2016 CMA Awards
- Simon Pegg and Mike Myers Join Margot Robbie in Thriller 'Terminal'
- 'The Flash' Season 2 Finale: The Man in the Iron Mask Reveal Brings in Another Speedster
- Kendall Jenner Says She's Psychic. Get Details of Her Sixth Sense
- Lil Wayne and Birdman Are Still Feuding After Settlement Talks 'Broke Off'
- Khloe Kardashian Fears Blac Chyna Will Use Her Baby With Rob for Fame and Fortune
- Fifth Harmony Heats Up the 'DWTS' Stage With Sexy 'All in My Head' Performance