Lenny Kravitz to Star as Motown Legend Marvin Gaye in a Biopic
After playing fashion expert Chinna in "The Hunger Games", Lenny Kravitz is set to portray a real life figure in his next film. The rocker-turned-actor has officially been cast as Motown legend Marvin Gaye in a biopic to be directed by Julien Temple, Deadline reports.
The film reportedly will be titled "Midnight Love", and it marks Lenny's first lead role as an actor. The movie is expected to kick off shooting in 2013. The story, meanwhile, will focus on Gaye as he spent his time in Europe in early 1980s.
At the time, the soul singer attempted to get his addictions under control and career back on track with the help of British music promoter Freddy Cousaert. The Washington-born musician died on April 1, 1984 after getting shot by his own father in Los Angeles.
Lenny Kravitz was seen tackling supporting characters in Lee Daniels' awards-winning "Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire" and Gary Ross' first "Hunger Games" film. He will reprise his role as Chinna in the sequel "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire" and will also reunite with Daniels in White House drama "The Butler".
Director Julien Temple, meanwhile, is best known as a video and documentary maker. He previously directed "Absolute Beginners" and recently helmed the documentary for London Olympics, "London: Modern Babylon".
- See Black Lightning in Costume in First Look of The CW's New Series
- Kim Kardashian Channels Kris Jenner for a Sexy Photoshoot - Check Out Her Wild Look!
- 'The Mindy Project' Renewed for Sixth and Final Season on Hulu
- Rob Kardashian 'Fears' Blac Chyna Will Come for Him After Calling Out Tyga
- 'Fate of the Furious' Will Start a New Trilogy, Vin Diesel Says
- Nicki Minaj Flaunts Her Body in Gucci Mane's 'Make Love' Music Video
- See David Beckham's Face Ruined for 'King Arthur' Movie!
- Lamar Odom Admits to Drugs Abuse and Multiple Affairs During Khloe Kardashian Marriage