Video: Maine News Anchors Resign on Live TV
Two news anchors in Maine shocked their co-workers and audience by announcing their resignation on live TV. Cindy Michaels and Tony Consiglio revealed their decision to quit WVII, which is ABC affiliate, at the end of their 6 P.M. broadcast on Tuesday, November 21.
"This will be Tony and my final show together here on ABC7," Michaels said as she wrapped up the show. Without detailing the reason of their resignation, Consiglio stated, "Some recent developments have come to our attention, though, and departing together is the best alternative we can take."
To Bangor Daily News, Michaels revealed, "There was a constant disrespecting and belittling of staff and we both felt there was a lack of knowledge from ownership and upper management in running a newsroom to the extent that I was not allowed to structure and direct them professionally."
"I just wanted to know that I was doing the best job I could and was being honest and ethical as a journalist, and I thought there were times when I wasn't able to do that," she added. On why she and Consiglio broke the news on air, she explained, "We figured if we had tendered our resignations off the air, we would not have been allowed to say goodbye to the community on the air, and that was really important for us to do that."
Mike Palmer, the general manager of the station, called the anchors' departure "unfortunate," but it was "not unexpected." Responding to Michaels' criticism, he said, "Upper management is not involved in the daily production of the news," and added, "We'll hire experienced people to fill these positions sooner rather than later."
- 'KUWTK' Returns for Another Season as 'Life of Kylie' Ends Up Being a Flop
- 'Downtown Abbey' Movie Is in the Works
- Rob Kardashian Is Lawyering Up Against Blac Chyna
- Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron Are Feuding Over 'Bride of Frankenstein' Role
- Nick Jonas to Embrace 'Positivity' in His New Album
- 'Glee' Star Charice Pempengco Changes Name to Jake Zyrus. Is She Transitioning?
- Girls Lined Up to Give Tom Cruise Blow Job on Set of 'Risky Business', Co-Star Reveals
- Courtney Stodden Strips Down to Tiny Underwear to Perform Striptease