Judy Garland's 'Wizard of Oz' Costume Sold for Nearly $500,000 at Auction
Judy Garland would be happy if she knew that people still commemorate her role in the legendary "The Wizard of Oz" about 70 years ago. Her signature white shirt with blue plaid apron, which her character Dorothy Gale donned in the movie, broke the record as the highest sale during two days of Hollywood memorabilia auction on Saturday, November 10, in Beverly Hills, Calif. It fetched $480,000, according to auction house Julien's Auctions.
Another relic of the 1939 fantasy adventure movie was also highly valued. A collection of studio and publicity images of the film nabbed $33,750. The identities of the purchasers were not mentioned.
Another item auctioned at the event was a purple skirt worn by Marilyn Monroe when she was filming "River of No Return" which fetched $50,000. Her gold blouse and matching Capri pants were sold for $43,750. Steve McQueen's racing jacket fetched $50,000. Another highly-valued item was Julie Andrews' dress, worn during the filming of "The Sound of Music". It went for $38,400.
Jaclyn Smith's black gown which she wore on 1970s' "Charlie's Angels" was also auctioned off and fetched $15,000. While Jean Reno's sunglasses in "Alex Cross" were bought for $8,320, Johnny Depp's shades were sold for $3,250.
The auction didn't only sell Hollywood filming relics, but also monarchy cakes. Prince William and Kate Middleton's royal wedding cake nabbed $7,500, whereas Prince Charles and Princess Diana's cake fetched $1,375.
- Ana and Christian Get Frisky in Eatery in New 'Fifty Shades Darker' Trailer
- NBC's 'Hairspray Live!': How Twitter Reacts
- Jonathan Cheban Calls KimYe Divorce Rumors 'Histerical', Says Couple Is 'in Good Spirits'
- 'Tomb Raider' Remake Finds Villain in Walton Goggins
- Nicki Minaj Teams Up With Fetty Wap for 'Like a Star', Surprises Fans With New Bouncy Track
- Caitlyn Jenner to Become Mom Next Year as She's Banned From Meeting Baby Dream
- Rihanna Squashes Beyonce Grammys Feud Rumors: 'This Is Just Unnecessary!'
- Zac Efron Goes Shirtless in Teaser Trailer for 'Baywatch'