'The X Factor' Recap: A Surprise Return and a New Name on Movie Night
"The X Factor (US)" returned with another live show on Wednesday, November 7, but not without a twist. After chopping down the contestant to 12 last week, the singing competition welcomed back an eliminated contestant to make the number of finalists to 13.
Diamond White of Britney Spears' Teens group returned in the movie-themed week as Simon Cowell explained, "We watched the show back and the final 12 we're very happy with. We think we made a mistake with one act." The 13-year-old singing hopeful, meanwhile, said it's "awesome" that she's given a second shot.
The performances were kicked off by Arin Ray with her rendition of Estelle's "American Boy", which earned rave reviews from the judges. Coming out next, Paige Thomas had a grand entrance as she was lowered onto the stage on wires and her skirt was blown by the wind. Despite the beautiful stage act, not all judges were blown away by her performance of "Take My Breath Away".
Vino Alan showed his strong vocal when singing "When a Man Loves a Woman". Demi Lovato praised his skill, but thought that he didn't have a star quality. Her comment sparked an argument with Simon as the British producer responded, "Demi, that's kind of a stupid thing you just said, because I had an artist called Susan Boyle who's 47 years old, who went on to become the biggest-selling artist in the world."
Simon and Demi once again squared off as the former didn't like the look of Jennel Garcia, Demi's protege. "I don't like what Demi has done to the way you look. You are unrecognizable from the person who we first saw. She was fun and charming, this is a bit of a parody," the former "American Idol" judge said.
Simon also criticized the way Demi handled CeCe Frey of Young Adults. He felt that the aspiring singer was "being taken in a direction you don't want to be going," and called her song choice of "Eye of the Tiger" "horrible." Demi, on the other hand, thought the One Direction plug on Simon's act Emblem3 wasn't smart.
Lyric 145, Tate Stevens, Diamond White and Carly Rose Sonenclar were other acts who amazed the judges. Jason Brock didn't get love from Britney, Demi and Simon for his "very cabaret" performance of "I Believe I Can Fly", while 1432 who performed under new moniker Fifth Harmon wrapped out the night with a stellar performance of "A Thousand Years".
On Thursday, November 8, "X Factor" will eliminate one of the acts. One Direction are billed to take the stage as musical performer.
- Pro Dancers of 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 23 Revealed
- Meek Mill Infuriated Drake After He Tried to Block Canadian Rapper From Partying in Philly
- Vin Diesel Thinks The Rock 'Shined' Amid 'Fast and Furious 8' On-Set Beef
- Is He Sorry? Justin Bieber Reunites With Sofia Richie Ahead of Her 18th Birthday
- Stephen Colbert Mocks Ryan Lochte's Robbery Claims, Spoofs His Interview With Matt Lauer
- Watch Helen Mirren Perfectly Handle a Sexist Interviewer 40 Years Ago
- Early Concept Art of 'Captain America: Civil War' Sees Ant-Man Fighting the Cap
- James Harden's Signature Shoes Are So Bad That People Make Fun of Them. Read the Funny Ones