ABC's Telethon Raises Nearly $17 Million for Hurricane Sandy Relief
ABC has raised $16.8 million during its national "Day of Giving" aiming at supporting Hurricane Sandy relief efforts. Throughout its programs on Monday, November 5, the network encouraged its viewers to donate to American Red Cross to help those devastated by the storm.
The telethon started with "Good Morning America" and ended with "Jimmy Kimmel Live!", where the likes of Snooki, Barbara Walters, Ethan Hawke, Rachel Ray, Dave Annable and more stars were answering phones to take donations. Appeals were also aired on Disney's syndicated shows and across other Disney-owned networks.
Walters herself donated $250,000 as she was moved after answering the phones during the telethon. "GMA" co-host George Stephanopoulos, meanwhile, donated $50,000. Also making donations were Dallas Mavericks' owner and "Shark Tank" star Mark Cuban, as well as the Samsung Corp.
Meanwhile, the Walt Disney Co. gave $1 million to local charities. On behalf of everyone at ABC, Josh Elliot said Monday, "We very very much appreciate it."
Previously, NBC had raised nearly $23 million during its "Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together" telethon on November 2. The benefit concert was supported by Christina Aguilera and Jon Bon Jovi among others, and took place at 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York.
MTV will soon follow in the footsteps of those two networks by holding its own telethon. Called "Restore the Shore", the live one-hour special will air Thursday, November 15 at 11 P.M. from MTV's Times Square Studio with "Jersey Shore" cast having signed up to support the event.
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says
- Kourtney Kardashian on Reconciling With Scott Disick: 'I'm So Not There Yet'
- Listen to Preview of Carly Rae Jepsen's 'E.Mo.Tion: Side B' Tracks
- Here's Your First Look at Kristin Chenoweth's Easter on 'American Gods'