ABC's Telethon Raises Nearly $17 Million for Hurricane Sandy Relief
ABC has raised $16.8 million during its national "Day of Giving" aiming at supporting Hurricane Sandy relief efforts. Throughout its programs on Monday, November 5, the network encouraged its viewers to donate to American Red Cross to help those devastated by the storm.
The telethon started with "Good Morning America" and ended with "Jimmy Kimmel Live!", where the likes of Snooki, Barbara Walters, Ethan Hawke, Rachel Ray, Dave Annable and more stars were answering phones to take donations. Appeals were also aired on Disney's syndicated shows and across other Disney-owned networks.
Walters herself donated $250,000 as she was moved after answering the phones during the telethon. "GMA" co-host George Stephanopoulos, meanwhile, donated $50,000. Also making donations were Dallas Mavericks' owner and "Shark Tank" star Mark Cuban, as well as the Samsung Corp.
Meanwhile, the Walt Disney Co. gave $1 million to local charities. On behalf of everyone at ABC, Josh Elliot said Monday, "We very very much appreciate it."
Previously, NBC had raised nearly $23 million during its "Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together" telethon on November 2. The benefit concert was supported by Christina Aguilera and Jon Bon Jovi among others, and took place at 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York.
MTV will soon follow in the footsteps of those two networks by holding its own telethon. Called "Restore the Shore", the live one-hour special will air Thursday, November 15 at 11 P.M. from MTV's Times Square Studio with "Jersey Shore" cast having signed up to support the event.
- Kris Jenner Reveals Whether She Will Marry Corey Gamble
- First Photo of 'The Predator' Cast in Costume Unveiled
- Calvin Harris Teases Collaborative Song With Frank Ocean and Offset
- 'Mission: Impossible 6' Will Feature Ethan Hunt's Emotional Journey, Says Director
- Jennifer Lopez on Drake and Dating Younger Men: 'It Has Nothing to Do With Age'
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Nick Gets Surprise Visit From Ex Andi Dorfman After Hometown Dates
- Drake Gives a Birthday Shout Out to Rihanna During Concert
- She's 'Dying'! Cher Suffers From Mystery Illness