ABC's Telethon Raises Nearly $17 Million for Hurricane Sandy Relief
ABC has raised $16.8 million during its national "Day of Giving" aiming at supporting Hurricane Sandy relief efforts. Throughout its programs on Monday, November 5, the network encouraged its viewers to donate to American Red Cross to help those devastated by the storm.
The telethon started with "Good Morning America" and ended with "Jimmy Kimmel Live!", where the likes of Snooki, Barbara Walters, Ethan Hawke, Rachel Ray, Dave Annable and more stars were answering phones to take donations. Appeals were also aired on Disney's syndicated shows and across other Disney-owned networks.
Walters herself donated $250,000 as she was moved after answering the phones during the telethon. "GMA" co-host George Stephanopoulos, meanwhile, donated $50,000. Also making donations were Dallas Mavericks' owner and "Shark Tank" star Mark Cuban, as well as the Samsung Corp.
Meanwhile, the Walt Disney Co. gave $1 million to local charities. On behalf of everyone at ABC, Josh Elliot said Monday, "We very very much appreciate it."
Previously, NBC had raised nearly $23 million during its "Hurricane Sandy: Coming Together" telethon on November 2. The benefit concert was supported by Christina Aguilera and Jon Bon Jovi among others, and took place at 30 Rockefeller Plaza in New York.
MTV will soon follow in the footsteps of those two networks by holding its own telethon. Called "Restore the Shore", the live one-hour special will air Thursday, November 15 at 11 P.M. from MTV's Times Square Studio with "Jersey Shore" cast having signed up to support the event.
- Watch Barden Bellas Dance in 'Pitch Perfect 3' Behind-the-Scenes Video
- James Marsden Is Under Consideration to Join 'Green Lantern Corps' as Hal Jordan
- Blake Lively 'Livid' Over Ryan Reynolds' Possible Reunion With Ex-Wife Scarlett Johansson
- The Weeknd Reunites With Selena Gomez at a Club After Running Into Ex Bella Hadid
- 'The Lost City of Z' Gets New International Trailer
- Peter Dinklage's New Red Hair May Hint at His 'Avengers: Infinity War' Role
- Future Enjoys Lavish Getaway in Dubai in New Video for 'Poppin' Tags'
- James Cameron and 'Deadpool' Director Tim Miller Team Up for New 'Terminator' Movie