Joss Whedon's 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' Nabs 'ER' Alumna as Its Agent
Joss Whedon has added another star to the cast ensemble of "S.H.I.E.L.D.". The filmmaker, who is on board to write and direct the live-action TV project, confirms that former "ER" actress Ming-Na has been tapped to take a lead role in the pilot.
The Dr. Jing-Mei "Deb" Chen of the NBC medical drama series will portray Agent Melinda May, an ace pilot, a weapons expert and a soldier who is described as being soulful but damaged by her time spent in combat. She'll join Clark Gregg who has been earlier slated to reprise his role as Agent Phil Coulson though the character died in "The Avengers" movie.
"S.H.I.E.L.D." centers on the secret military law-enforcement agency headed by Nick Fury in the Marvel Universe. Despite the connection between the upcoming show and the superhero-ensemble feature film, it's believed the TV adaptation will not include the same characters.
Whedon teams up with his brother Jed and Maurissa Tancharoen to work on the script. Production on the live-action show, which is made under the "Avengers" helmer's exclusive three-year film and TV deal with Marvel Studios, is expected to start soon.
In addition to her "ER" role, Ming-Na is known for portraying Chun-Li Zang in "Street Fighter" movie and voicing Fa Mulan in "Mulan" films and "Kingdom Hearts" video game series. She also had regular roles on other TV shows namely "As the World Turns", "Vanished" and "The Batman". Her latest regular role was as Camile Wray on "Stargate Universe".
- G-Dragon Promises Big Bang Will Reunite as 5 Members
- Jay Park Signs With Roc Nation
- Justin Bieber Banned From China Over His 'Bad Behavior'
- Kim Kardashian Is 'Furious' After Video of Her Partying Hard Exposed
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tasha McCauley Welcome Second Child
- Celebrities Who Regret Getting Plastic Surgery
- JYJ's Park Yoochun's Fiancee Allegedly Wants to Break Off Engagement
- Kingsman Teams Up With Statesman in New 'The Golden Circle' Red Band Trailer