Joss Whedon's 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' Nabs 'ER' Alumna as Its Agent
Joss Whedon has added another star to the cast ensemble of "S.H.I.E.L.D.". The filmmaker, who is on board to write and direct the live-action TV project, confirms that former "ER" actress Ming-Na has been tapped to take a lead role in the pilot.
The Dr. Jing-Mei "Deb" Chen of the NBC medical drama series will portray Agent Melinda May, an ace pilot, a weapons expert and a soldier who is described as being soulful but damaged by her time spent in combat. She'll join Clark Gregg who has been earlier slated to reprise his role as Agent Phil Coulson though the character died in "The Avengers" movie.
"S.H.I.E.L.D." centers on the secret military law-enforcement agency headed by Nick Fury in the Marvel Universe. Despite the connection between the upcoming show and the superhero-ensemble feature film, it's believed the TV adaptation will not include the same characters.
Whedon teams up with his brother Jed and Maurissa Tancharoen to work on the script. Production on the live-action show, which is made under the "Avengers" helmer's exclusive three-year film and TV deal with Marvel Studios, is expected to start soon.
In addition to her "ER" role, Ming-Na is known for portraying Chun-Li Zang in "Street Fighter" movie and voicing Fa Mulan in "Mulan" films and "Kingdom Hearts" video game series. She also had regular roles on other TV shows namely "As the World Turns", "Vanished" and "The Batman". Her latest regular role was as Camile Wray on "Stargate Universe".
- Justin Theroux Joins 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'
- Mischa Barton Reveals Emotional Abuse and Blackmail by Ex-Boyfriend Who Leaked Her Sex Tape
- Jordan Peele Eyed to Direct Manga Adaptation 'Akira'
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 7 New Teaser Shows 'Long Walk' to the Throne
- 'Avengers' Helmer Joss Whedon to Direct, Write and Produce 'Batgirl'
- Beyonce Is Making $500K Nursery for Her Unborn Twins
- Mariah Carey Is Spending Too Much Money on Toyboy Bryan Tanaka
- Amber Rose Is Joining Secret Online Dating App