Joaquin Phoenix Calls Awards Season 'Stupidest Thing'
Although he's lauded to take home numerous movie awards this year, Joaquin Phoenix saw them as complete "bulls**t". In a discussion with Elvis Mitchell for Interview magazine, the actor said he does not want to be part of the Oscars or any other award shows which put people in competition.
Phoenix's acting chop in Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master" has been applauded as one of the best performances by an actor. He plays Freddie Quell, a former Navy man adrift in a sea of lost souls in postwar America, circa 1950. The film had received the Silver Lion award for directing at this year's Venice Film Festival.
Speaking of his possible inclusion as award contender, Phoenix said, "I think it's bulls**t. I think it's total, utter bulls**t, and I don't want to be a part of it. I don't believe in it. It's a carrot, but it's the worst-tasting carrot I've ever tasted in my whole life. I don't want this carrot. It's totally subjective. Pitting people against each other ...It's the stupidest thing in the whole world."
Phoenix has been nominated twice in the Oscars, once for his role as Commodus in 2000's "Gladiator" and once for his role as Johnny Cash in 2005's "Walk the Line", but he found neither amusing. "It was one of the most uncomfortable periods of my life when 'Walk the Line' was going through all the awards stuff and all that. I never want to have that experience again," he said, adding "I don't know how to explain it - and it's not like I'm in this place where I think I'm just above it - but I just don't ever want to get comfortable with that part of things."
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences