Beyonce Bows Out of 'A Star Is Born', Esperanza Spalding May Replace
"A Star Is Born" may be facing a major setback as Beyonce Knowles, who was on board to take the female lead role, reportedly quits the project. According to Variety, the "Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)" hitmaker drops out of the Clint Eastwood-directed remake film due to scheduling issues.
Studio insiders say Eastwood is now eying jazz star Esperanza Spalding to fill in the female lead role. However, the sources note that until the male lead is signed, no discussions or offers will be made with the female lead.
In the remake to the 1976 musical film, Beyonce was set to tackle the character which was originally played by Barbra Streisand. When the wife of Jay-Z was pregnant with their first child, Warner Bros. Pictures postponed the production which was expected to begin in February this year.
The delay was seen as an opportunity to give the studio more time to find the lead actor. Leonardo DiCaprio, Christian Bale, Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Will Smith and most recently Bradley Cooper were mentioned as the contenders, but no deal has been sealed as of now.
"A Star Is Born" remake promises an updated version of a romantic relationship between an alcoholic star on his way out and a young female artist on the rise. Will Fetters provides the script, while Jon Peters, Bill Gerber and Basil Iwanyk team up to produce the film.
More A Star Is Born News
- Free the Nipple! Stella Maxwell Goes Braless in Racy Mesh Top
- DeMario Jackson Not Returning to 'Bachelor in Paradise' After Scandal. What About Corinne Olympios?
- Johnny Depp Jokes About Assassinating Donald Trump: 'Maybe It's Time'
- Khloe Kardashian Sizzling in Completely Sheer Bodysuit. Tempting Tristan Thompson?
- Chance the Rapper Apologizes to Dr. Dre for Degrading His Label
- Brad Pitt Wishes to Reconcile With Angelina Jolie Despite Messy Split
- Chris Brown Reveals He Tried to Have a Baby With Karrueche Tran
- 'Aquaman' Officially Casts Michael Beach in Potentially Significant Role