'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles' Boss Explains the Missing Catchphrase
When the updated version of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" airs on Nickelodeon, fans won't hear the titular characters saying "cowabunga," the catchphrase popularized by Michelangelo, anytime soon. Speaking about why they decide not to include the word yet on the upcoming show, executive Ciro Neili explains, "We just wanted to wait on it. We didn't want to do everything at once."
Believing that "cowabunga", which was first introduced in the 1950s by "The Howdy Doody Show", will actually be coming, he reveals they initially didn't think of another word to replace it. "There was a lot of talk about what the new 'cowabunga' was, or whether it should even remain 'cowabunga'. We hadn't initially come up with anything yet because we didn't really necessarily need it [at the time]," he tells Entertainment Weekly.
However, during a recording, "booyakasha" which was often used by Sacha Baron Cohen's character caught the attention of the show's executives. "When we were at the record, one of the actors - Greg Cipes, who actually plays Michelangelo - just kind of went for it," Neili recalls.
"When he said it in the room, there were a lot of executives there. I think it was our first record. And it was that moment when he said it - I think he just really pulled it off and kind of won everybody over in the room. And it stuck."
In addition to the new catchphrase, the new animated show will feature the turtles using updated weapons. A clip, which makes it way out via EW, gives a look at the four mutant ninjas showing off their weapon of choice.
The new "TMNT" will premiere Saturday, September 29 at 11 A.M. ET on Nickelodeon.
- Alex Rodriguez Bans J.Lo From Talking to Ex Casper Smart
- 'KUWTK': Lisa Rinna's Family to Replace the Kardashians
- Selena Gomez Fears Run-In With Ex Justin Bieber at 2017 Billboard Music Awards
- Find Out Why Kim and Kourtney Kardashian Bans Kanye West From Mexican Trip
- Report: Angelina Jolie Is Using Black Magic to Get Revenge From Brad Pitt
- Khloe Kardashian Claims Lamar Odom's New Romance Is Only a Way to Get Her Attention
- Mila Kunis Gives Her Parents a Surprise Home Makeover
- 'The Flash' 3.20 Promo: Savitar Will Be Unmasked in 'I Know Who You Are'