MTV VMAs 2012: One Direction, Chris Brown, Drake Are Early Winners
One Direction shone early at 29th annual MTV Video Music Awards which just kicked off on Thursday, September 6. The five-piece group took home the first Moonman of the night for Best Pop Video, thanks to their "What Makes You Beautiful" clip.
Taking the stage to receive the award from presenter Katy Perry, the British boyband beat out Fun., Rihanna, Justin Bieber and Maroon 5 who were nominated in the same category. The teen singers returned to the stage later that night to perform "One Thing".
After a performance by Pink, it was Chris Brown's turn to claim win. The "Yeah 3x" hitmaker blocked Justin Bieber, Frank Ocean, Drake and Usher from taking the Best Male Video. He won it through his "Turn Up the Music" clip.
Though he lost to Breezy in the Best Male Video category, Drizzy has also already scored one trophy. The Canadian rapper snatched the Best Hip-Hop Video for "HYFR" featuring Lil Wayne. Joined by Nicki Minaj on the stage, he dedicated his award to "any kid that's ever had a long walk ohm by yourself."
The Harajuku Barbie had her own victorious moment when her name was mentioned as the winner for Best Female Video. Her "Starships" clip got the most votes among Riri's "We Found Love", Katy's "Part of Me", Beyonce Knowles's "Love on Top", and Selena Gomez & The Scene's "Love You Like a Love Song".
"Barbz I'm cryin in my dressin room! Like wtf!??!!!!???" the Young Money femcee expressed her feelings on Twitter after returning backstage. She added in another tweet, "OMG MTV!!! Thnku!>"
The 29th annual MTV VMAs is currently taking place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles. Kevin Hart is hosting, with Riri, Taylor Swift, Alicia Keys, Green Day and Frank Ocean among other performers billed for the event.
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March