Daniel Craig on James Bond: It's a Darkness With a Sense of Humor
Heading to the 50th anniversary celebration of James Bond in October, Daniel Craig spared some time to discuss the world's most famous spy film franchise with Esquire magazine. The actor who has played the 007 agent for three times to date shared his opinion on the Ian Fleming-created figure.
"I think what's always fantastic about the Bond stories is that there's always a darkness involved," he explained. "But it's a darkness with a sense of humor. A black humor. It's about danger, but a good danger, because you're in the hands of somebody who's saying 'F*** you' to risk, 'F*** you' to dying."
The blue-eyed actor, who played Bond in "Casino Royale" and "Quantum of Solace" and would return in upcoming "Skyfall", went on gushing about the difference between starring in huge franchise like 007 and other less high-profile roles. "Bond movies live or die on their popularity," he said.
"They force you to care about what people think. And I'm involved [in the films] on a very deep level. I have it in my mind all the time... So there's that kind of pressure, and that's an enemy in any art form, acting especially."
Speaking about the forthcoming "Skyfall", Craig revealed how he got Sam Mendes serving as the director. "It's a very showbizzy story," he said. "I was at Hugh Jackman's house in New York. It was a soiree - we were in a play together - and Sam was there. I'd had a few too many drinks and I went, 'How do you fancy directing a Bond?' And he kind of looked at me, and he went, 'Yeah!' And it snowballed from there."
Returning as Bond for the third time, Craig will be seen in "Skyfall" which is set to hit the U.S. theaters on November 9. In it, Bond's loyalty to M (Judi Dench) is tested as her past comes back to haunt her. When MI6 comes under attack, 007 must track down and destroy the threat, no matter how personal the cost.
- Chris Brown Is Arrested for Assault With a Deadly Weapon
- New Boyfriend? Lindsay Lohan Spotted Together With Dennis Papageorgiou in Greece
- Calvin Harris Strips Down to His Undies in New Instagram Photo
- Gisele Bundchen, Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid Among Highest-Paid Models 2016
- Selena Gomez Takes a Break, Cancels Tour Amid Battle With Depression due to Lupus
- 'Arrow' Season 5 Shows First Look at Villainous Prometheus
- Blake Lively Celebrates Baby Shower With Taylor Swift
- Gabby Douglas Apologizes After Missing VMAs due to Health Issues