Nigel Lythgoe Developing 'Fame' Series Reboot
Nigel Lythgoe and MGM Television are joining forces to revive "Fame". The "American Idol" executive producer and the studio are planning a scripted series based on 1980's film of the same title which was later adapted into a TV series that ran from 1982 to 1987.
Like the original movie and show, the remake project will follow the lives of a group of students paying their dues on the road to success. Though so, the story will now be set "against the backdrop of today's unprecedented access to the world of celebrity," Deadline reports.
"This is a great opportunity for MGM to partner with world-class producer Nigel Lythgoe, whose unmatched experience with telling the true stories of talented people striving for success will set Fame apart," says Roma Khanna, MGM's president of television and digital.
Lythgoe chimes in, "I look forward to stripping away the glitter and glamor and revealing the true mixture of passion, humanity, exhaustion and sacrifice that these richly talented individuals endure on their road to fame."
Debbie Allen, who starred on the original series, has given her approval to the reboot project. Calling it "a great idea," she praised Lythgoe, "He's been trying to get these rights for a while. I'm glad that MGM is partnering with him. He's a great, such an incredible advocate for the dance world. He cut his teeth on Fame back in the day, so I think it's terrific."
- Refusing to Enter Rehab, Lamar Odom Walks Out of Family's Intervention
- Kristen Bell Shares First Photos From Her Wedding While Tearing Up Talking About Hubby Dax Shepard
- Comic-Con: 'Justice League' Debuts First Footage, 'Wonder Woman' Gets First Trailer
- Watch Melissa McCarthy, Jodie Foster, Adam Sandler Ruin Their Han Solo Auditions on 'CONAN'
- People Are Upset Taylor Swift Uses Special Instagram Tool to Block Those Snake Emojis
- Artist of the Week: Stacy Ferguson
- Miranda Kerr Flaunts Huge Ring and Long Legs During First Outing Since Evan Spiegel's Proposal
- Comic-Con: 'Legion' Unveils First Footage. Take a Look at the X-Men TV Series