'Saturday Night Live' to Return to Primetime With Election Specials
Following the success of "SNL Weekend Update Thursday" specials in the run-up to the 2008 election, NBC has scheduled two "Saturday Night Live" primetime specials that will spoof the upcoming fall election. The episodes are slated to air September 20 and 27, with the network having left the room open since it announced its fall premiere dates by pushing the launch of "30 Rock" final season to October 4.
In addition to announcing the "SNL" election-themed specials at the Television Critics Association conference, NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt talked about "a transition" that the network would undergo this fall with its new line-up. While it has been known for its acclaimed shows such as "30 Rock", "The Office" and "Parks and Recreation", the Peacock hopes to broaden its approach with new comedies namely "Animal Practice", "Go On" and "The New Normal".
"I don't want to say anything negative about what ('30 Rock' creator) Tina Fey does, or 'Parks and Rec,' or 'The Office' - they're great shows," Greenblatt said, before adding that they currently tend to be "a little bit more narrow and more sophisticated than we might want for a real broad audience."
Also at the TCA's summer press tour, the "New Normal" creator Ryan Murphy responded to One Million Moms' protest against the show which centers on a gay couple. "Every person and group has a right to protest something. I find it to be interesting that they would take a position before they've seen it. I think if they watch the show, I actually think they would love it," he said.
The writer also revealed the show would represent the anti-gay group as spilling, "For the first time they will be represented! Ellen Barkin's character is a member of the Million Moms! She will protest people and events and I think it will be great fodder for Bryan and David's characters to talk about."
More Saturday Night Live News
- 'House of Cards' Unveils Chilling Teaser for Season 5 on Trump's Inauguration Day
- Bella Hadid Goes Braless in Completely Sheer Top. See the Eye-Popping Pics
- Find Out Who Will Be Godparents to George and Amal Clooney's Twins
- Jackie Evancho Delivers Live Performance of National Anthem at Donald Trump's Inauguration
- Emily Ratajkowski Strips Down to Lacy Lingerie on Streets for DKNY Campaign
- Angelina Jolie Loses Her Team's Trust Amid Brad Pitt Custody War
- 'Cult of Chucky' Image Offers First Look at the Murderous Doll With No Head
- Kourtney Kardashian Splits From Scott Disick Again? See Her Cryptic Message