'Saturday Night Live' to Return to Primetime With Election Specials
Following the success of "SNL Weekend Update Thursday" specials in the run-up to the 2008 election, NBC has scheduled two "Saturday Night Live" primetime specials that will spoof the upcoming fall election. The episodes are slated to air September 20 and 27, with the network having left the room open since it announced its fall premiere dates by pushing the launch of "30 Rock" final season to October 4.
In addition to announcing the "SNL" election-themed specials at the Television Critics Association conference, NBC Entertainment Chairman Robert Greenblatt talked about "a transition" that the network would undergo this fall with its new line-up. While it has been known for its acclaimed shows such as "30 Rock", "The Office" and "Parks and Recreation", the Peacock hopes to broaden its approach with new comedies namely "Animal Practice", "Go On" and "The New Normal".
"I don't want to say anything negative about what ('30 Rock' creator) Tina Fey does, or 'Parks and Rec,' or 'The Office' - they're great shows," Greenblatt said, before adding that they currently tend to be "a little bit more narrow and more sophisticated than we might want for a real broad audience."
Also at the TCA's summer press tour, the "New Normal" creator Ryan Murphy responded to One Million Moms' protest against the show which centers on a gay couple. "Every person and group has a right to protest something. I find it to be interesting that they would take a position before they've seen it. I think if they watch the show, I actually think they would love it," he said.
The writer also revealed the show would represent the anti-gay group as spilling, "For the first time they will be represented! Ellen Barkin's character is a member of the Million Moms! She will protest people and events and I think it will be great fodder for Bryan and David's characters to talk about."
More Saturday Night Live News
- Mantis Reveals Star-Lord's Deep Dark Secret in 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' New Trailer
- Watch: Rita Ora Drops Her Top in Raunchy Love Advent Video
- Britney Spears Gets Surprise Birthday Cake on Stage at 2016 Jingle Ball
- Granger Smith Broke His Rips and Punctured His Lung After Falling From Stage
- Madonna Wants to Remarry Sean Penn for $150,000 at Miami's Art Basel
- Chris Evans Feels 'Rage' Over 'Last Tango in Paris' Real Rape Scene
- Mariah Carey Not Too Keen on Comparison Between Her Alter Ego Bianca and Beyonce's Sasha Fierce
- Mark Wahlberg Criticizes Fellow Celebs Who Talk About Politics