Olympics 2012 Soundtrack Albums Get Release Date
The music recorded for this year's London Olympic Games' opening and closing ceremonies will be released digitally. Albums containing songs from the two ceremonies will be available online right after the events.
"Isles of Wonder: Music for the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games" will be released on July 28. "A Symphony of British Music: Music for the Closing Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games" will be available on August 12. Physical copies of "Isles of Wonder" will be made available on August 6.
Decca Records, which is owned by Universal Music, is handling the release of the albums. The label is doing it with support from the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games.
General manager of Universal Music Catalogue, Richard Hinkley, says that they are "delighted that we have been able to make the music, which is such an important part of the British heritage and a massive part of our London 2012 Olympic Games ceremonies, available the moment the ceremonies end."
"The speed of these historic releases will be truly record-breaking," added Dickon Stainer, the president of Decca Records.
The opening ceremony is expected to feature 10,000 performers with British electronic duo Underworld as the music director. Danny Boyle, the Games' artistic director, revealed in January that the opening ceremony took its name from the "Isles of Wonder" speech in Shakespeare's "The Tempest."
Paul McCartney, Spice Girls, George Michael, The Who and Jessie J are expected to make performances.
More Paul McCartney News
- Twitter Users Are Begging Marvel to Give Captain America a Boyfriend
- Amy Schumer Blasts Body Shaming 'Trolls': 'I Think I Look Strong and Healthy'
- Priyanka Chopra Throws Her Hat Into the Ring to Be Female James Bond
- Listen to a Preview of Shawn Mendes' New Song 'Better'
- Elijah Wood Clarifies Comment on Child Sex Abuse in Hollywood, Says It's Misinterpreted
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Boss Confirms Someone's Getting Married in Season 7
- Anne Hathaway Throws Shade at the Kardashians, Says It's Unintentional
- Eminem Sells Bricks of His Childhood Home for 'Marshall Mathers LP' Anniversary