Aaron Sorkin Replaces Most of 'The Newsroom' Writing Staffs
"The Newsroom" undergoes a major shakeup in the writing team for season 2. HBO has confirmed that creator and head writer Aaron Sorkin is replacing half of the show's writing staffs. "Every year each show reassesses the needs of its writing staffs. This process is nothing out of the ordinary," the network stated.
However, a source said that everyone in the writing team has been fired, with the exception of Corinne Kinsbury who was Sorkin's ex-girlfriend. "They're not coming back, except for Sorkin's ex-girlfriend [Kinsbury]," the source told The Daily.
Posting the third most-watched series debut for HBO with 2.1 million viewers on late June, "The Newsroom" has been renewed for a second season. Despite the fair performance, the show has been criticized for its cartoonish characters and lack in authenticity.
Defending the series from the criticisms, Sorkin recently said, "I like writing about heroes that don't wear capes or disguises; it's aspirational." He insisted, "The show is meant to be a fantasy set against very real and oftentimes very serious events."
Admitting he didn't have "an intellect and an erudition" that some people thought he had, the Oscar-winning scribe added, "I phonetically create the sound of smart people talking to each other. I'm not one of them. The characters I create would have no use for me."
- Lady GaGa Makes a Japanese Bride Extra Happy With This Sweet Gesture. Watch It!
- 'Rogue One': Gareth Edwards Teases Ben Mendelsohn's 'Working Class' Character
- Laverne Cox Is a 'Bad B***h,' Slays Nicki Minaj's 'Roman's Revenge' in 'Lip Sync Battle' Clip
- Jack O'Connell to Star as Alexander McQueen in Biopic
- Move Out Rihanna! Drake Wakes Up Next to 'the Most Beautiful Woman' After His Birthday Party
- 'Carpool Karaoke': Lady GaGa Is Novice Driver, James Corden Tries on Her Infamous Costumes
- Shia LaBeouf Is a Marine With PTSD in 'Man Down' Teaser Trailer
- Rihanna Sends Taylor Swift a Warning After Pop Diva Spent Her Night Partying With Drake