Third 'Smurfs' Movie Already in the Works With 'Over the Hedge' Scribes
Sony Pictures hasn't even finalized a sequel to "The Smurfs", but it already plans a threequel to the 2011 hit animated film. Sources revealed to Variety that the studio has moved forward to develop "The Smurfs 3" and that the script is already in the works.
Details about the third "Smurfs" movie are still scarce for now, but it is said that Sony has tapped "Over the Hedge" scribes Karey Kirkpatrick and Chris Poche to provide the screenplay. Jordan Kerner, who produced "The Smurfs" and "The Smurfs 2", has also signed on for the threequel.
"The Smurfs", which was released last summer, had collected a massive $563 million worldwide. Following the success, Sony wasted no time to announce its second movie which is planned to be released in the United States on July 31, 2013.
The follow-up movie is expected to bring back Raja Gosnell to the directing seat. Neil Patrick Harris, Jayma Mays and Hank Azaria are also set to return to the sequel. They will be joined by new voice cast members such as Brendan Gleeson, J.B. Smoove and Christina Ricci.
- Police Found No Evidence of Physical Abuse in Amber Heard's Case
- Phil Lord and Chris Miller's 'Spider-Man' Movie May Feature Miles Morales
- Colton Haynes Bares His Butt in This Racy Instagram Photo
- Heidi Klum Declares She 'Won't Get Married Again'
- Rainn Wilson Says Johnny Depp 'Is a Wife Beater'
- Does Tyga Really Owe Kylie Jenner $2 Million?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' Star Teases Jenna's Return: 'I'm in Most of the Season'
- Victoria's Secret Angels Give Justin Timberlake's 'Can't Stop the Feeling' Hotter Music Video