Third 'Smurfs' Movie Already in the Works With 'Over the Hedge' Scribes
Sony Pictures hasn't even finalized a sequel to "The Smurfs", but it already plans a threequel to the 2011 hit animated film. Sources revealed to Variety that the studio has moved forward to develop "The Smurfs 3" and that the script is already in the works.
Details about the third "Smurfs" movie are still scarce for now, but it is said that Sony has tapped "Over the Hedge" scribes Karey Kirkpatrick and Chris Poche to provide the screenplay. Jordan Kerner, who produced "The Smurfs" and "The Smurfs 2", has also signed on for the threequel.
"The Smurfs", which was released last summer, had collected a massive $563 million worldwide. Following the success, Sony wasted no time to announce its second movie which is planned to be released in the United States on July 31, 2013.
The follow-up movie is expected to bring back Raja Gosnell to the directing seat. Neil Patrick Harris, Jayma Mays and Hank Azaria are also set to return to the sequel. They will be joined by new voice cast members such as Brendan Gleeson, J.B. Smoove and Christina Ricci.
- Find Out How Jaden Smith Tricked His Dad Will Smith Into Letting Him Drink on His Birthday
- Jean-Claude Van Damme Walks Out of TV Interview After Reporter Asks This Question
- Matt Damon Will Take a Break From Acting Next Year
- Kanye West Launches Twitter Rants About Apple and Tidal Beef
- Tyler Posey Clarifies 'I Am Gay' Snapchat Video, Apologizes for Fake Coming Out
- Nick Jonas Offered $2 Million to Perform at RNC
- Director Paul Feig Slams Sony for Deleting 'Ghostbusters' Pro-Hillary Tweet
- 'Game of Thrones' Set to End With Season 8, Spin-Off Plan Confirmed